Stitch by Stitch

I have no delusions that I am unique in saying this has been a difficult month for writing. My WIP seems to be progressing so slowwwwly... In the 27 days of April, I have completed only twice as many new pages.
This drives me crazy. Why can some writers--really talented, skillful writers--shoot off pages like rounds in a machine gun, while others of us are left feeling like we're hand-throwing giant rocks at our targets?
I get this same frustration every time I watch my little sister knit. She is so darn fast. I recently decided I would start to knit a washcloth--this being about as reasonable a goal as I could set for myself in this area--then heard my sister say that she loves knitting washcloths because she can complete one in the time it takes to watch a movie. Hearing that, my mind instantly tells me, "Ok, why bother? This is going to take you for-evah. Course of a movie? Sure, if we're talking the extended edition Lord of the Rings--all three movies. Plus interviews. And ALL the credits. And, yeah, with a toddler and a baby, I obviously have time for that.
Every time I pick up the yarn and needles, I am tempted to put them right back down, because I know I will not have time to make any visible progress. I realized the other day that this is an obstacle I face in my writing as well. I don't have chunks of time. This frustrates me, but that's just life right now. I have to remember that every time I sit down and write a paragraph--though little progress is evident--that's one paragraph I didn't have before.
I finished my washcloth yesterday, after a few weeks of work on it. And I am determined to finish my WIP, word by word, slow paragraph after slow paragraph. And, hey, I have 60 pages I didn't have a month ago. I wish it was a whole book...but at least I'm training myself in persistence. Someday, instead of empty-nest-syndrome when my youngest goes off into the world, I should be able to write a few books a month. ;) Or maybe, at least, knit a sweater.

Comments

  1. Ah don't be so hard on yourself. I don't have children and it still takes me a long time to write. I also don't knit, so I guess that's more time I'm not using wisely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right with you! It is slow going sometimes! But I love your perseverance, that's what counts. Great, inspiring post!

    here's to the paragraph we didn't have before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I knit a bath towel!! My mom thought I was crazy. She said you can go buy a towel for $5 why spend all these hours knitting? I guess the same thing applies to books. You can buy a book for $5, why spend all these hours writing one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know how you feel. But the time I spend being a mom is even more important than the time I spend writing. They'll grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started knitting a scarf once, 6 years ago, and never finished. My excuse was that the yarn was too darned expensive.

    Slow but steady gets it done, though. And while I'm not planning on returning to knitting, I do have 2 manuscripts that need attention.

    Write on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel honored (I am, of course, assuming you're referring to me) that my abilities in knitting place me in a similar category to "really, talented skillful writers".... I only wish my teachers thought that my writing was as good.... we can dream, right?

    The thing about knitting is that it's my primary form of "de-stressing." It's simply not about trying to necessarily make the perfect sweater or the most precise afghan. Honestly, the number of knitted and crocheted articles that I have had to take it apart (it's called frogging, for you non-knitting types)....For me its more about expressing my creativity, in terms of colors being chosen, patterns used, and even how I want to add my own personal touch. I think, in a way, the art of writing is similar. Each of us has to decide what words to use, what form to follow, and what we can add that will make it our own. It takes time to create a real exceptional work of art (washcloths are definitely not in this category, btw, although they are totally awesome as a way to just enjoy the feel of yarn in your hands and practice your knitting skills), and we shouldn't allow ourselves to become discouraged. We simply need to take one stitch at a time, and if it turns out weird and wonky to the point that we need to frog it, that's ok. When we do get around to actually holding the final product in our hands, no matter how long it takes, it will mean so much to us precisely because of the struggles we overcame and preserved through while making it.

    ... on that note, I think I'll go knit a washcloth :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my first novel took me three years to write the first half and then seven months to write the second half. i think it is because i consciously developed some practices to trick me into sustainability. before that i would just write until the well was dry each day and then have nothing to work with the next day. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish I could knit. My mom used to do it and she'd let me pick out yarn for sweaters. One of these days I'm going to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts