Acting Lesson Number 1: Take a Risk

Despite being a creative writing major for a whole semester in college (I switched to Spanish and Education, because I figured I could never teach myself those things), the best class I ever took as far as writing goes was actually an acting class.
I learned more about myself, more about characters, more about drama and plot, etc etc etc in that class than I have anywhere else. I've decided to share some of that here, bit by bit...
So...
Lesson One! Which was in fact my first assignment in class:
Take a risk.
We had to take a risk (a personal, emotional risk, as opposed to sky-diving risk) then write an essay about it.
Sounds simple, right? Well, it was probably one of the most life-changing assignments of my life. I hate taking risks. I do not like trying things I might fail at. Though I now succeed at it most days, it is still a conscious effort to look people in the eye. So my assignment had me sweating. I decided--gulp--that I would find a stranger who was sitting all alone in the cafeteria, you know, poor lonely freshman, and eat lunch with her. I was pretty sure that I might develop hives at such a drastic act, pretty sure that said freshman would think I was crazy and probably tell the whole campus what a weirdo I was, but I was so terrified of getting a B on my assignment that I forced myself.
And...it was easy. Once I sat down.
So, I determined that it probably didn't count. At dinner, pushing myself further, I sat with a whole group of people I didn't know. And...they were nice to me. They waved at me the following day and made small-talk in the breakfast line.
I pushed myself further and further, until finally I realized: that is the point. The risk lay in making the decision to do something I feared. The actual experience would never be as bad as I had imagined.
I'm not sure if I would have ever finished a book if I hadn't learned this lesson. I would not have entered it in any competitions, or submitted it to agents and editors. (I certainly never would have started a blog!)
Thus...your assignment: take a risk. Take several, daily. And, if you'd like, share a past risk that has changed your life. I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

  1. Just popped over from Nikki's blog and saw your comment about PEI! My grandmother lives there. It is indeed a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that in an acting class you had your best writing experience.
    Sorry I can't think of a risk of this type at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness you were so brave to sit with strangers. I would have been a nervous wreck :o) Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts