Courage and Hope


In honor of her new website and the paperback release of May B., author Caroline Starr Rose invited bloggers to speak about what Courage and Hope--two strong themes in her story--mean to them.

When I read those words, a face popped into my mind. But I wasn’t sure I could share the story, because it is personal and difficult and dark--but that’s what makes it all the more beautiful.

Three quarters of a century ago, a little girl named Beverly was growing up in central New York State. She didn’t have too far to go: she reached 4 feet and 10 inches and decided that was quite tall enough. But she didn’t need height to be impressive. While her physical frame may have stopped growing, her soul took off by leaps and bounds. Shakespeare’s words come to mind: “Though she be but little, she is fierce.”

This little woman would have plenty of need for her ferocity. When she was only a little girl, she clung to a stuffed animal to try to shield herself from abuse. She suffered through poverty and bullying and an extremely difficult home life. As a young woman, she lost her sister in a tragic accident. She traveled alone across the country to marry a man she’d met only twice but fallen in love with. She raised four children, and saw them through plenty of difficulties of their own. Her large family of brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and very lucky grandchildren knew they could turn to her for anything and she would do her best to help. If you asked Beverly to pray for something, she would--and she would never stop. Those who asked for prayers were often surprised to find, years after the fact, their names and intentions written down in a prayer notebook that she always kept handy. When you spent time with her, you became accustomed to the sound of her rosary beads slipping through her fingers throughout the day.

She was a woman who never lost hope. Her courage led her to challenge herself to keep learning every day of her life. Her house was stuffed full of books of every kind, from fairy tales to college textbooks, along with paint tubes and canvases, knitting needles, yarns, beads. But the most marvelous talent she had was her ability to smile through even the most difficult times. You couldn’t imagine more joy radiating from one woman, and she spread it to everyone who knew her.

She still does. I miss her like crazy and wish I lived closer, but I’ll always count it one of my greatest inheritances to have this woman for my grandmother. She taught me everything I’ll ever need to know about courage and hope and how to make joy your mission in life. I love her so much--as does every person who ever met her or was born into her family or bumped into her at a grocery store. She is little, but she is fierce, and she puts a face to the love of God.

Comments

  1. This is one of the most beautiful tributes I've ever read. Thank you for sharing, sweet Faith. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being the inspiration to do so, Caroline!

      Delete
  2. Oh Faith, thank you for posting this. What an amazing woman your grandmother was, and what a legacy she's left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is amazing. All of us in her family say that she's a saint--and we really mean it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a woman! Thank you so much for sharing your grandmother with us. It always amazes me how one person can become bitter through hardship and another, like your grandmother, becomes joyful.

    I've been pondering hope with St. Alphonsus this month, so will share with Caroline! What joy that May B is in paperback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...so true about the different ways we respond to adversity. My gramma is an example of someone who was "refined by fire"--not destroyed by it.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post. I was amazed to read it because I'm considering posting about my grandmother on her birthday next week. Now I'm considering it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If, when I'm 83 years old, poeple say of me what we say of Gramma, I would have become the person I am striving to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rose. Not many people are as lucky as we were/are to have such a role model.

      Delete
  6. Oh how I loved seeing Aunty through your eyes :) Beautiful story! She sure is a VERY special little lady . Love her very much !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping over, Linda! When I was younger, I was always surprised by how much Gram's nieces and nephews loved her--I thought she was all mine! :) But she truly gives of herself to everyone, and I'm happy to share now. ;)

      Delete
  7. One day, Gram asked me to type out the names and intentions in her prayer book so that she'd have a hard copy on her computer, just in case. It's true - if you but once asked her to pray for someone, she wouldn't stop. Some of those names had been in there for decades. She makes everything count, whether it is time or space... the space of a tiny house, or every bit of awake time. If she can't sleep at night, she wastes no time trying to fall asleep - she'll simply get up to cook, clean, study from her multitude of religious works or famous classics, and pray for those in her precious prayer books. I've never known anyone like her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If I made half that good use of time...gosh, I'd be a wonder woman!

      Delete
  8. Aunt Bev is a very special woman. She is the most loving and caring person I have known. Such a beautiful account of her life. I love her so much! Faith, this is so beautifully written!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Martha! I completely agree with you: I have never known anyone with such a capacity for caring.

      Delete
  9. Two days ago I told Mom about this post and sent her the link so that she could read it. Her response was, "Beautifully written, but Faith makes me sound much better than I am." I had to disagree with her-she IS a woman of courage and hope, and your words convey that so beautifully. She cares so very much about God, her family and friends, and her country. She stays on top of current events and happenings in our government, votes, signs petitions and encourages others to do so, and prays, prays, prays for America. She is determined to do everything that she can to make this country a better place for her children, grandchildren and the many generations to come. Thanks, Mom for all you do. You and Dad make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely story, Faith! She reminds me of my late mother-in-law, who always had the rosary beads out and prayed for everyone she knew and even people she didn't know. Cherish your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, Joanne. How blessed you were to have such a mother-in-law, too!

      Delete
  11. Wow, Faith... I don't know ​how to put into words all that I would like to say (I do not have such a beautiful gift with words as you do!), but I wanted to leave a comment and say thank you for writing this about Gramma... What you wrote was so beautiful and true, ​and it makes me awfully proud to have Gramma as my grandmother (and you as my sister!), always there to inspire me and anybody she meets in life.

    ​And I think it's pretty neat I only made it to 4'9" like Gramma. I think it's a pretty good size to be, too. :)​

    Love,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that even though Gramma says she used to be 4'10" she shrunk down an inch by the time I met her. Just all that greatness in a slightly more compact container. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts