On reading at Whim

Three weeks ago, I shared my 2020 reading list and explained my new approach to planning--basically, don't. I had been missing the fun of reading for fun, and hoped that I could regain that this year through being more spontaneous and less regimented.

As it turned out, just after posting that, I listened to an amazing episode of the Read Aloud Revival podcast, in which Sarah Mackenzie spoke with Alan Jacobs about just this topic. Definitely go listen to the episode--after that, you probably won't need the rest of this blog post to convince you to read Jacobs' book, The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction--but I'll go ahead and try to get you running to your library regardless. I'll just keep it brief. ;)

9859899

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction is a series of essays about the one thing you'd think you wouldn't have to convince me of--and yet I lapped up every word. From essays about reading at Whim--and the difference of "Whim" vs. "whim"; to reading slowly; to reading "upriver" when you love a certain author (i.e. reading the books that inspired an author as opposed to reading countless retellings and sequels inspired by him or her); to a delightfully logical and surprisingly kind upbraiding of a certain popular critic...this isn't just a book about reading but a deep exploration of reading.

I loved it. Run to your library now--or better yet, buy yourself a copy so you can mark up the margins as Mr. Jacobs suggests.



(As you can see, I'm an Amazon Associate, so I'm supposed to let you know that if you click the button above to make a purchase, I'll receive a tiny percentage of the sale. I have this link for your convenience, but I'll always always say you should support your local bookstore if you can. If that's not an option for you, I appreciate the few extra cents!)

Comments

  1. I didn't realize one had to have a book on this topic. lol. I take these things for granted. Must check it out. Thank you, Faith, for always bringing interesting books upon my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the Read Aloud Revival podcast too. This book sounds very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts