What we're reading Wednesday: Fairy Tales

Apparently, February 26 is Tell a Fairy Tale Day! I could pretend that's the reason we're reading a bunch this week, but the truth is we're almost always reading them. Did you ever hear this Albert Einstein quote?

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

Yep.

This tome gets pulled out about once a week:

Andrew Lang's Pink Fairy Book, and yes, we do have this Folio edition, so it really is a tome. 

And this is our current audiobook listen:

Because I love it dearly and also because it's a great example of a book
that tackles relevant issues (bullying) without ever becoming an "issue book."

Finally, last night's trek to the library, during which I told them they could pick out "just one book each this time" ended with me demonstrating my total lack of will power where books are concerned along with my rule-bending super powers ("Okay--you each only get one, but I'm checking out these 12 to read to you.") and the borrowing of these fairy tales, along with, you know, the other dozen books:



Lastly, though it's not technically reading, I have to tell you about The. Coolest. Game. Ever. My father-in-law gave this to the girls for Christmas, and we love love love it:


As you spin, you collect fairy tale elements: a hero, a villain, a magical helper, a magical item, a treasure and a setting. Whoever collects all the elements first gets to tell their story first. We have had so much fun with this--and by "we" I mean everyone from Ginny, who is two, to Mark and myself. Through great will power, we do not get it out to play with after the girls are in bed. It's hard...but it's just more fun with them. :)

Do you have any plans to tell a fairy tale today? What are your favorite fairy tales or favorite retellings?

(To read what some other lovely folks are reading this Wednesday, you can head over to Jessica's to check out the links)

Comments

  1. That games looks fun!
    I was so happy to find Andrew Lang's fairy tales for free on kindle (not illustrated, but free).
    Ella Enchanted is one of our favorites too.
    Einstein's quote reminded me of what C. S. Lewis said:
    “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the folks who came up with Common Core need to read the Einstein quote! What a lovely collection and Yes, you can bend the rules since you are the mother. That's what I told my kids ...

    What a fun game ...

    My father's aunt was a great storyteller ... she made all the sound effects. You know, I've not read a fairy tale in a long time. I should pull out my book of Arabian Nights. It's illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Fairy Tales! I have several fairy tale books from my childhood that I like to re-read from time to time. (I don't even have children. I just love them for myself!) One of my favorite artists is the delightful and charming Mary Engelbreit, and I've gifted this book on more than one occasion: Mary Engelbreit's Fairy Tales: 12 Timeless Treasures

    That game looks like a great gift, too! One of my cousins has two daughters who are princess obsessed–one of them wears a tiara constantly–so I'll have to let her know about it.

    Happy Fairy Tale Day!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want to try my rewrite of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? It's at:
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2010/12/assignment-3-december-27.html
    Beverly Bear and the Blonde Creature. Happy Fairy Tale Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'd definitely love to play that game down the road with Elena. And Rapunzel's Revenge looks really interesting- I think I'd like to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew there was a national fairy tale day? I love it. One of my favorite original fairy tales is Singing to the Sun by Vivian French. It's great. Told from the perspective of a prince, but still has a girl power twist in the end. Love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how could one NOT open that gorgeous copy of THE PINK FAIRY BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely STILL love There's A Princess In The Palace!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts