Deep Theology: the Kindergarten Version

(While preparing some toast for Papa, who was in bed with a fever.)

Lucy: Zoe, do you want to know what made Papa sick?
Zoe: You KNOW?
Lucy: Yep. Papa got sick because Adam and Eve ate the bad apple.
Zoe: Really?
Lucy: Yes. That’s why EVERYONE gets sick. Nobody got sick before that. It’s all their fault.
Zoe: Wow. Lucy, you know EVERYTHING.

Of course, the three-year-old version we heard the next day may have been even better:

(During a phone conversation with Grandpa--I could only hear one side, of course.)

Zoe: Yep. Papa is sick. Wanna know WHY he is sick? Because Addle and, um ...Mabel and ...Um, Mama, what was their names? Oh, right. Adam and Eve ate an apple. And it was POISONED. They was super-duper-alley-ooper hungry and that’s why they ate the apple even though it was POISONED. And it made Papa sick. Lucy told me this because she is SO SMART.

I could refer you to any number of theologians for a more accurate description of the concept of original sin, but at the moment I am too busy cradling a box of tissues to my chest and moaning, “Why, oh, why, Adam and Eve, did you have to go eat the darn poisoned apple? This is ALL YOUR FAULT!”

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear you're sick, but this story is so cute. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the embellishments! But Lucy is quite correct, and a very smart little girl. Oh, I hope Mark feels better soon and please do give him a good apple! Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is serious. I hope you feel better soon m'dear : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you may not be feeling well...but I can't stop giggling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, tell Mark to feel better soon!!! Adorable story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing. So precious! Of course, if it hadn't been Adam and Eve,it would have been their kids or something, long before we got here. Actually, I find huge comfort in the fact that ONLY Jesus was sinless. :)

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith, this is hilarious! I'm so glad you're writing down the adorable things your kids say. They grow up and you forget.

    Hope everyone is better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts