When inspiration smacks you upside the head

Yesterday Mark and I got a wonderful idea for a book that we will someday write together. (Someday being when we both finish revising the stories we’re working on now.) We chatted into the wee hours of the morning, planning and plotting and daydreaming (except it was, well, nightdreaming). But did you ever think about all the bizarre elements and “chance” occurrences that go into the making of an idea?
Here’s the recipe for ours:
1 gallon reminiscing about how we fell in love
2 cups Downton Abbey
3 tablespoons of Doctor Who
Some peppermint tea with lots of honey
Simmer all together with a dose of nighttime cough and cold medicine until idea suddenly springs forth, fully formed and ready to control your thoughts for the next several weeks.
That should be a fun one to explain when someone asks, “So, where do you get your ideas?”
Ah, no...we don’t get our ideas. They get us.

Comments

  1. How fun it must be to brainstorm with someone! But I like your ingredients (particularly the pairing of Downton Abbey and Doctor Who)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather strange pairing, isn't it? I think most of the Doctor Who element is simply to approach the story from an unexpected angle...no Time Lords or Daleks (sadly). :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an excellent recipe for some seriously fun creativity! Like Melissa said, with ingredients like that, my mouth is watering. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Hurry up and write, it sounds like all kinds of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So of course, it will be a love story! Yup, the stories find us ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Mark and I have always wanted to write a love story together, but this is the first idea that has really resonated.

      Delete
  5. So awesome. Wow. When I tell my husband about my story ideas, he just gives me that smile that says, "That's nice, honey, but what does it have to do with cars?" LOL (He's going to school for auto body right now...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, well maybe someday you will have need of that automobile knowledge. :) But even when they don't share the same interest, spouses who are supportive of writing are worth double their weight in gold...

      Delete
    2. For sure! My husband has always been such a great supporter of my writing. A definite blessing to count!

      Delete
  6. I love sitting down with my wife bouncing idea's for a new book off her. She's not a writer, but I consider her input invaluable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a tasty story to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts