MMGM: Twelve Kinds of Ice, by Ellen Bryan Obed


While browsing through my library shelves last week, I came across a beautiful little book...not quite picture book, not quite chapter book, but altogether wonderful: Twelve Kinds of Ice, written by Ellen Bryan Obed and illustrated by Barbara McClintock.
Through a series of twenty vignettes, the author takes you through the various kinds of ice found throughout the year and the excitement that accompanies each--I should say the author and illustrator, truthfully, because Barbara McClintock's pen and ink drawings take the book from "Wow, this is amazing," to "Is it weird if I just hug this book now?" (Is it weird? Don't judge me until you've read it...)
I think I need to provide a semblance of logic at this point, so I shall give you a list of my favorite things:
1) Every word is perfect. The text is an ideal example of what prose can be when approached by a poet--it's not poetry, mind you: it's perfect prose. Every line is beautiful, but every paragraph is also beautiful. There are no extraneous words to take away from the emotion and story that the author is creating.
2) Every line of illustration is perfect. I couldn't imagine a more fitting match between words and pictures.
3) The story itself is a tribute to the kind of life that I am trying to create for my family, and that in itself is rather against-the-grain and pretty incredible. It's a story of a family that knows how to have fun with the very simple things that life gives them. It's about togetherness and joy and--it bears repeating--fun. And it makes me want to go turn my garden into an ice rink.
I know I gush about books a lot and there are thousands I love...but this one goes on the list of "Can't recommend it any more highly." Please do yourself a favor and read it as soon as you can.

To find more Marvelous Middle Grade Monday recommendations, visit the blog of Shannon Messenger, the genius behind it all...

Comments

  1. I just discovered Barbara McClintock last week during our library trip, too...have you read "Adele and Simon"? Lucia and I both love it, which is saying something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we love it! Dahlia is another family favorite.

      Delete
  2. She's one of my favorites, but I've not seen Ice. Will have to look for it. I love when you see books that express what you want to do with your own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of Obed's other work...definitely going to be searching for it straightaway now!

      Delete
    2. Ooops, it's the illustrator I was thinking about. Obed is new to me. I've ordered it. I esp. love a good book for the younger side of MG.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I haven't heard of this one, so thanks so much for the gushing recommendation. It's now on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of the author or the book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my wow...I want to get this book, read it and yes...hug it! Thanks so much for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :) I hope you love it as much as I do!

      Delete
  6. You've convinced me, Faith. I've hugged many books. No shame in your game, my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! It's good to know I'm not alone. :)

      Delete
  7. Book hugging should be encouraged as a daily practice.

    I tend toward the upper middle grade, but I'm intrigued by your review. Plus I love the title. May have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh sheesh! I kept thinking, Barbara McClintock, that names sounds so familiar, and her image looked so familair on line. And then I realized that I met her at the SCBWI booth in Bologna last year where she was sharing her absolutely lovely illustrated book of Natalie Merchant songs (which were themselves other writer's poems set to music). It's called Leave Your Sleep and it's beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Wow, this sounds just lovely. I'm convinced - I have to read it. Clicking over to request it from the library now. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts