Newbery reading


I have this little challenge with myself where I try (er, hope) to have read the Newbery medal winner before the award is announced. In the past five years since I began, I have only managed to do so once, in 2009 when I was pleasantly stunned to hear that The Graveyard Book had won. (Did anyone else think it was rather a departure from the type of books they’d been picking?) Last year marked the only year when I hadn’t read at least two of the honor books (but, well, there only were two honor books).
So I’ve got less than two weeks to improve my record before this year’s awards are announced.
Here are some of the books I think deserve to win something, in reverse order of when I read them:

Twelve Kinds of Ice, by Ellen Bryan Obed
The Humming Room, by Ellen Potter
Katerina’s Wish, by Jeannie Mobley
Splendors and Glooms, by Laura Amy Schlitz
The Great Unexpected, by Sharon Creech
May B., by Caroline Starr Rose


 

I know it's a small list. I’ve read many other well-written books that just didn’t seem to say “Newbery” to me, such as Wonder or Liar and Spy (though I wouldn't actually be surprised if the Newbery committee disagrees with me). And lots of excellent young adult books, but I can’t pretend to have the knowledge to predict the Printz decision. (I will be saddened if Code Name Verity doesn’t win something, though historical fiction doesn’t get spotlighted very often.)

So, two questions for you:
1) What reading should I squeeze in before the 28th?
2) Why can’t we have a prize for young adult historical fiction--or is there one I don’t know about?

Comments

  1. I haven't been following the trends so I have no idea what might win, but I'll have to look up those books and give them a read myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, nice list, and it would be hard to pick. I still haven't gotten my hands on a couple of these books :)

    HF is represented quite well in the MG Newbery's. Maybe *our* YA historicals will get the Printz ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are an absolute sweetheart. I am a looooooooooong shot, but I am honored to be included on your list. I'll also be heartbroken if CODE NAME VERITY doesn't win something. There's really no way it can't, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Graveyard Book! You sent it to me for my birthday 2 years ago and I remember reading it cover to cover on the floor of the duplex we had just signed a lease floor. It was on the floor because it was unfurnished and I was more interested in reading the book than taking care of business...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I thought this year was such a strong year! What worries me a bit is that there are so many good ones that some will obviously be passed over. And then the winners STILL might be books I haven't heard of yet!

    For Printz, I can't imagine BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY being passed up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts