Where's the Wrench?

I've resisted for a long time, but have finally given in to the addictive, gorgeous drop into history that is Downton Abbey. Mark and I finished watching the first season yesterday, and I think I can say fairly that he is just as hooked as I am.
While the often soap opera-worthy complications can cause a giggle or eye roll from time to time, it's made us look at our own stories with new eyes and ask ourselves a question:
Are there sections in the book where everything is going along too smoothly? If so, you need to throw in a wrench. You can find plenty of examples throughout the show's scenes...though I would avoid certain of them, personally--like, say, the random dead man.
And thus I justify my hopeless addiction as a writing exercise....
For you other abbey addicts--what's your favorite part of the show?

Comments

  1. I like to watch movies as -- ahem-- a writing exercise but haven't gotten into Downton Abbey yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Downton. Can't beat the caustic wit of the Dowager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much about this, I may get it on Netflix. Yes, yes, yes to wrenches! I have a reprieve for my MC that I threw out ... and frankly it reads better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm... my favorite part of Season 1.. that's a hard one! I have to say that O'Brien's character is always throwing out unexpected twists that surprised me. I don't want to share "spoilers", but the biggest "wrench" is in Season 3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen it yet, but my mom LOVES season 1! She wasn't that impressed with the 2nd season,though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? That's too bad. I can't watch it yet since it's not on Netflix...but I've been craving dramatic period pieces. Any recommendations?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts