Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving
by Joyce Kilmer


The roar of the world is in my ears.
Thank God for the roar of the world!
Thank God for the mighty tide of fears
Against me always hurled!
Thank God for the bitter and ceaseless strife,
And the sting of His chastening rod!
Thank God for the stress and the pain of life,
And Oh, thank God for God!

I'm sure I've posted this poem before, but I need to remind myself of its truths at least once a year. This has been a hard year in a lot of ways, but so often the things that seem the worst hide enormous blessings...and even when the full plot is kept secret from us, we are never alone.

I am so, so grateful for the friends and family who have been so selfless in their love of us and truly given us a glimpse of God's own love. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!


The Return from the Harvest, by Bouguereau


Comments

  1. ... and to you, too... dear wonderful daughter! We are very thankful for you and your family, as well as your siblings and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful poem -- must copy it. And the painting is gorgeous! And for what is said in-between, I leave you with a quote from St. Josemaria Escriva:

    How lovingly Jesus embraces the wood which is to bring him to death! Is it not true that as soon as you cease to be afriad of the cross, of what people call the cross, when you set your will to accept the will of God, then you find happiness, and all your worries, all your sufferings, physical or moral, pass away?

    Wishing you and whole family a very blessed Thanksgiving.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the poetic reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts