Inspiring Art

L'Enfant du Regiment, by John Everett Millais
Yesterday after Mass for the feast of the Immaculate Conception, we celebrated by going out for a family lunch and a walk through the Yale British Art Gallery. Museums are so good for the soul--and so good for inspiring creativity.
This painting by Millais is one of my very favorite works of art; when I see it in person, I literally can't help crying. The girl, whose father was killed in battle, has been adopted by his regiment. She finds a resting place during another battle (in person, you can see soldiers fighting in the background in the far left) on the tomb of a knight.
For those of you who've read The Hunger Games, you know how Suzanne Collins takes three long (albeit excellently-written) books and a lot of violence to get across the message: "War Sucks"? This painting makes you feel that in an instant. It also leaves you hopeful and inspired by the nobility and goodness of which men are capable.
What are your favorite works of art? Have any inspired you in your writing?

Comments

  1. That is so beautiful! I've never seen it before and it's making me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that story choked me up. I've never seen this painting or known the story behind it. I'm also revising my opinion of books like the Hunger Games and HP. Call it a continual conversion ... and it IS not easy. Why, why, why?

    Won't you please send me your mailing address. I would like to send you a card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts