MMGM: The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail, by Richard Peck

Mouse Minor--both not-quite-full-grown and small for his age--is one of the Mice of the Mews beneath Buckingham Palace, where (as everyone knows) for every human with a job to do, there is a mouse doing the same job, only better. Only Mouse Minor doesn't know who he is, what his job is meant to be, or even his true name. But what would a mouse with a question mark-shaped tail do but use his curiosity and his daring to find out?




I know, I know. Mice books are my undoing. Remember the mouse battles from a few months back? Well, the mice are less determined during the summer, but Lucy hasn't given up encouraging them in in every way possible. A few months ago I caught her dusting crumbs off the kitchen table and onto the floor. When I asked her to please leave them for me to wipe away, she answered, "But, Mama. I always put crumbs on the floor for the mice!" After I explained why this wasn't a good idea, she sighed and said, "Does that mean I have to stop leaving food under the piano for them, too?"

And yet... I keep reading her mice books. I keep reading them myself, because I can't help loving the tiny worlds and the bravery in the face of constant danger. I especially keep reading them when they're by Richard Peck (although if Kate DiCamillo ever decides to write another one, I'll be in equal danger).
See, every time I read a Richard Peck book, I simultaneously want to give up writing (because, golly, I'll never write as well as he does) and go write something RIGHT THEN (because I'll never get better if I don't keep at it). Same story here... I absolutely loved this book. My inner 8-year-old fell completely into the story, so much so that my inner writer had to force itself to peek out and pay attention to the writing so I could learn something. Mostly I let the 8-year-old take over. The writer can have its turn later, in the dozen or so times I plan on re-reading it. :)

For a list of more Marvelous Middle Grade Monday posts, visit the blog of Shannon Messenger.

Comments

  1. I LOVE Richard Peck. I feel exactly the same way whenever I read his stuff. He's amazing. AMAZING! Guess I'll be reading this one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love Lucy ... why yes, she ought to put the crumbs in a doll house :) I love animal tales and Richard Peck is one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for his previous mouse book to enter our library shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love mice books, (but I am not a fan of real mice.) Thanks for featuring this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a Richard Peck book in a long while. Maybe it's about time. Thanks for the review, Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable. I personally don't mind mice until they start chewing through stuff of course. But then again I'd rather repel them from my place than having to kill them.
    The book also sounds adorable and I just might check it out.

    Thanks for the feature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one looks so adorable! Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I JUST GOT this one from the library. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this cover. I loved mice as a little girl and had a stuffed animal mouse and tried to find them all the time (my grandma was afraid of them- so I was always her mouse detective when she had to go to her basement). :) I can relate to your daughter leaving food- though it is probably best not to encourage them.

    I have read most of Richard Peck's books- so I am adding the adorable book to my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts