MMGM: Written in Stone, by Rosanne Parry

Today is the first official day of homeschooling studies for the little Hough women, so today I'm going to cheat and use the publisher's description (but I absolutely had to squeeze in time for this post, because I loved this book):

Rosanne Parry author of Heart of a Shepherd, shines a light on Native American tribes of the Pacific Northwest in the 1920s, a time of critical cultural upheaval.

   Pearl has always dreamed of hunting whales, just like her father. Of taking to the sea in their eight-man canoe, standing at the prow with a harpoon, and waiting for a whale to lift its barnacle-speckled head as it offers its life for the life of the tribe. But now that can never be. Pearl's father was lost on the last hunt, and the whales hide from the great steam-powered ships carrying harpoon cannons, which harvest not one but dozens of whales from the ocean. With the whales gone, Pearl's people, the Makah, struggle to survive as Pearl searches for ways to preserve their stories and skills.


I find stories about the 1920's fascinating regardless, but I've never read anything from this perspective before, and it was extremely interesting. As a main character, Pearl was wonderfully likable and resilient, and the conflicts between the need for change and the desire for sameness were beautifully (and subtly) expressed. Actually, "subtle" is a great word for Written in Stone as a whole. The writing is "quiet," but clear and gorgeous. The story isn't a fast-paced adventure, but there is no lack in tension. The characters themselves are understated, but so real you could touch them. 

Highly recommended for anyone who loves middle grade--but in a special way for those young, advanced readers that want a good story that is still at their maturity level. 

Comments

  1. Sounds very good- and a beautiful cover! Hope your first day back is smooth. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not cheating, to use the publisher's synopsis. I do it all the time! Then I write my own review. And I'm amazed you had time for this at all, while teaching your own children.

    I love quiet books, and I've been wanting to read this since I first heard about it. I enjoyed her book, Second Fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a happy schooling year ... my preference is for the unofficial schooling (like going to the beach, park, cooking). Even formal piano lessons I gave to the children were a disaster.

    This sounds like a lovely book. I adored Heart of a Shepherd and I love books about the Pacific NW Indians. Thanks for spotlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always up for a middle grade read. This sounds fascinating! And wow, I didn't know you homeschooled. Very cool! So many neat opportunities for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored Heart of a Shepherd. I must get this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts