Non-fic picks

No MMGM for today, but I did want to share with you some of my recent reading enjoyment: three non-fiction books to inspire you and/or make you think:


1. The Missing Ink; the Lost Art of Handwriting, by Philip Hensher.
Hensher explores the history and the current endangered state of handwriting and the handwritten. I know I'm a handwriting nerd, but it was pretty fascinating--and scary. Hensher decided to write the book when he realized he had no idea what one of his best friend's handwriting even looked like. More and more schools are replacing penmanship class with typing class, and handwriting is being devalued the world over--except by nerds like me. And Philip Hensher, apparently. I don't know... I just think it's sad that one of the most easily learned and shared forms of art and expression is becoming extinct. Even if you don't read the book, take some of Hensher's advice: write things by hand--something every day. Send a postcard to a friend. Write out a grocery list instead of typing into your iPhone.


2. Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain.
An eye-opening reflection/study/analysis of the way that introversion is villainized in our culture and of the strengths that introverts have. And, well, a lot more than that. As an introvert myself, the wife of an introvert, the sibling of several introverts and the mother of at least one, I think I said, "Ohhhh! That makes so much sense!" at least once every other page. My husband could tell you that I'm still (two weeks after finishing) bringing up points in random conversations: "You know, it's interesting... I read in that introvert book how..."


3. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L'Engle.
This one is a re-re-re-read. But it's still surprising me with how good it is. I won't try to summarize (as the title does that well enough), but instead share just one of my favorite quotes, this one about writing for children:

“I am still every age that I have been. Because I was once a child, I am always a child. Because I was once a searching adolescent, given to moods and ecstasies, these are still part of me, and always will be... This does not mean that I ought to be trapped or enclosed in any of these ages...the delayed adolescent, the childish adult, but that they are in me to be drawn on; to forget is a form of suicide... Far too many people misunderstand what *putting away childish things* means, and think that forgetting what it is like to think and feel and touch and smell and taste and see and hear like a three-year-old or a thirteen-year-old or a twenty-three-year-old means being grownup. When I'm with these people I, like the kids, feel that if this is what it means to be a grown-up, then I don't ever want to be one. Instead of which, if I can retain a child's awareness and joy, and *be* fifty-one, then I will really learn what it means to be grownup.”

Comments

  1. I ADORED Quiet and have always meant to read Walking on Water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read it soon, Caroline! I know you will love it.

      Delete
  2. Walking on Water is an amazing book. I need to re-read it (the first of many such times, I'm sure). And as a huge introvert, Quiet is also on my to-be-read list, too.

    I love handwriting - and I love paper and pens! A few years ago, I even ordered a feather quill pen and ink to try my hand at writing the old-fashioned way. I think it's such a shame that handwriting is going the way of the dodo bird. I'm glad my daughter still learned it at her school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never actually tried my hand at a quill pen--although I have a few "dip" pens that I love using on things like wedding invitations and special letters. (You know, the ones I use my sealing wax for. :) But I can see I'm in the company of a fellow writing nerd! ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with your nonfiction reading. Hey, I always write my grocery list by hand! Although it's getting harder to find those magnetized notepads for the fridge... And I still send postcards from vacations and write out my own Christmas cards. It does scare me, though, that most people don't write anything by hand anymore.

    As an introvert, I really need to read Quiet. And I'm ashamed to admit I've never read Walking on Water, but it sounds fantastic. That's a lovely quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love them both, I'm sure!
      By the way, right now Jo-Ann Fabrics has a bunch of those magnetic notepads for sale--I got two very pretty ones last week for my own grocery lists. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Faith! I wouldn't have thought of looking there. I used to buy them at the indie bookstore where I worked, but they closed in January.

      Delete
  4. All these books are calling out to me from this post, Faith.

    Nancy was the one who turned me on to the cursive italic handwriting series (Getty and Dubay) and you should hear those ladies go on about the necessity of handwriting. I'm sure Mr. Hensher will affirm their stand.

    I am an extrovert but have ALWAYS had a deep admiration for introverts. Around them, I often feel like a yappy dog in need of a swat with a newspaper.

    The quote you chose from Madeleine L'Engle's book was instantly recognizable to me, not because I've read it before, but because it's true.

    All three of these offerings are now on my must-read list. You have inspired me to do reviews on my blog, as well. As you've demonstrated, it's a lovely way to share riches with each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm teaching Lucy Getty-Dubay Italic right now--I love it, but Mr. Hensher actually had some biting things to say about italic that made me laugh. (I gather he thought it beautiful but rather pretentious.)
      One of the interesting points in Quiet was that introverts often love to be around extroverts--and you prove that point. I feel so energized and relaxed whenever I'm around you...and grateful that I don't have to hold up the conversation by myself! (Also, unlike some extroverts, you like to talk about "big ideas" that we introverts hold so dear!)
      And you need to read Walking on Water as soon as you can, because I KNOW you will love it. If you're on the shoreline anytime soon, you can borrow my copy!

      Delete
  5. What gems of books. Never heard of the first one, and I completely agree with the author.

    Several years ago, a dear friend taught me basic calligraphy. I'd scratch out letters, but would painstakingly address the envelopes ... I should replenish my supplies.

    I am, of course, enjoying Two Part Invention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the commenters on this post, you are the first one whose handwriting I have seen! I'm grateful for the little notes you've sent, and I do like having my mss critiqued "by hand," partially because seeing the writing of the critiquer makes it seem more personal and, well, caring.
      I can't wait to hear what you think of Two Part Invention!

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have to give that book for introverts another try. I requested it a while back but it came in at a bad time and I never got to it. The handwriting book looks interesting as well. Oh, who am I kidding. I've got to add Walking on Water to my list as well. Thanks for these reviews, Faith. They all sound too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still handwrite things, but my penmanship isn't getting any better as time goes by. I fear it has to do with impatience.

    I've read both of the other two, and agree that #3 is a re-re-re-read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts