MMGM: Zita the Spacegirl, by Ben Hatke

Of course you and I know that if you see a red button lying around with no instructions to be found, you should definitely not touch it. Of course we also know that at least 50% of great adventure stories would not exist had not their characters touched real--or metaphorical--red buttons...
When Zita and her friend Joseph spot a mysterious red button just sitting on the grass, waiting to be pressed, Zita can't resist. Joseph urges her to be cautious...to no avail. They're soon sucked into life on another planet, where only hours remain before an asteroid blasts them into oblivion. To make matters worse, Joseph is kidnapped by a group of learned elders who are convinced he will be their savior. It's up to Zita to save him and bring him home--with the help of a quirky and wonderful cast of supporting characters, including a brave giant mouse, an enigmatic genius, and a sesquipidalian robot.
Despite my passionate, long-time love for Tintin, I've been slow adjusting to the graphic novel craze. But ones like this completely tilt the scales. Zita is funny, adventurous, and brave; her story made me and my five-year-old laugh out loud and flip pages until they fanned us with the breeze--that is, until we just had to stop and look and look and look at a few of the brilliantly executed illustrations.
I think I could go on for at least a few more paragraphs...but Lucy is tapping at my shoulder, begging me to find her a green cape and a red button...

Comments

  1. This sounds so cute! I haven't picked up any graphic novels. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my 11-yr-old would love this as well :) Love these MG recs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally fun. The Boy has recently picked up on space stuff. He and I might like this. Thanks for highlighting Zita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all of you, for stopping by! Let me know what you think of Zita!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts