Weirdest research

Last week, the “Lucky 13s” discussed the strangest web searches they’ve ever had to make while researching a story.
Of course it got me thinking...what was my weirdest search?
There were the bits about whether or not Leonardo da Vinci’s weapon plans would actually be viable to attack a small fortress... Or the time I looked up “what were the Grimms’ most violent fairy tales?” And then of course I did a suspicious amount of research on the guillotine for CIRQUE, including some forays into the question of whether or not one of its victims could really smile at you after his head had already been severed (the answer is probably ‘yes’).
But the question that makes me blush the most is for an adult short story I’m working on now, about a young woman in Victorian London who for a time considers becoming a prostitute in order to take care of her orphaned siblings.
My question: “Where would you find a prostitute in Victorian London? And how much money did they make?”
Yeah. LUCKILY, I had a book* in which I found the answer. Because I just couldn’t type that into a search engine without blushing from my head to my feet. Thank goodness for old-fashioned research. Otherwise the Peelers** might be after me.
So, what about you? What was your oddest research question?



*What Jane Austen Knew and Charles Dickens Ate. It’s as entertaining as it is informative.
**Peelers: n. slang. the company of British policemen organized by Robert Peel. Also known as “bobbies.”

Comments

  1. The book sounds delightful -- yes, there are perks to doing research the old-fashioned way. I have quite a collection of science books with odd bits of trivia ... and have been fascinated by wierd and wonderful things, like square bacteria, diatoms, two-headed cows and more ... Our God is not only highly creative, but also has a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll type anything into a search engine-- I must say I'm really curious to know how much a prostitute makes, then...and now. Is that weird?! Um, anyway, my research for my novels have not been too strange. I once had to learn as much as I could about making beer. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Yes! I've googled some strange things and wondered what the website owners thought. Mostly I'm surprised by how many people google the same stupid thing. I get no end of "goat bling" I'm not joking. I mean I didn't think anyone but me would care about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have googled some weird terms. Too many to even recall. I know someone who blogs on "weird search terms" every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Faith! Not only have I googled prostitutes and pimps for the brothel section of my historical novel, people have found my blog by googling prostitutes. GULP. My situation is similar to yours, except as I'm playing with gender roles a bit, my male protagonist Henri becomes indebted to a brothel madam in 19th century New York City. Luckily I have a book on arsenic and how people used to use it for, ahem, pleasure. I can't say any more than that or I'll end up in your spam folder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts