World-building: it's in the details

First of all, good news: my draft is finished! I've been taking a short break for perspective, madly jotting down notes for improvement, and enjoying rainy days spent doing things like this with my girls (or, rather, watching them...this creative masterpiece is all theirs): 

The Frog King's Castle

This is King Froggy, looking out for enemies.

Unfortunately, enemies are inevitable, but castles can be rebuilt. This time, however, the King took refuge in the more secure dungeons...

...which still couldn't save him from the wicked tower-destroyer. But she's so cute, all was forgiven. :)

I learn so much from watching my children. Today's lessons: 
1. The details make it interesting.
2. If things crumble apart, it's an opportunity to revise and improve.

So here are some of the details swirling about my mind, ready to find their place in the world of my story:

Beef pie           Indian spices          hats with potato flowers              cobblestones          ice cream         Bow Street Runners            piles of skulls             chocolate            Grecian hair styles           lace cuffs        madrigal singers           William Blake           oil lanterns           savory pudding           pickpockets          coal smoke         coffee


For some reason...all this thinking makes me hungry.

Comments

  1. That's quite an impressive castle for a frog. And such great lessons too, for writing. I guess the writing brain never takes rest ... I want to see pickpockets, Indian spices, chocolate, cobblestones, lace cuffs and madrigals. Such velcro words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like the Indian spices. :) Your book got me thinking about them, and then in my research I discovered they were used widely in 18th century Britain!

      Delete
    2. Well you must read about the spice trade! Cinnamon and pepper were hot commodities.

      Delete
  2. Good job on finishing your draft! That's wonderful. And I love your girls' frog castle. That "destroyer" is good at teaching us all life lessons. We have a demolition baby in our house, too. I keep telling my older kids, "You can do it again and make it even better this time!" :D

    And your words are lovely. I'd read a book inspired by those. And eat a meal inspired by them, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Yes, the Demolition Baby never tires when the destruction of blocks is at stake...

      Delete
  3. oh, she is the cutest little destroyer! :D LOL! And pick-pockets. I like it! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We think she's pretty cute, too, but we're biased. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think we've got plenty of block-building years left around here... of course, even after the girls outgrow them, I wouldn't put it past myself to pull them out from time to time. :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this post! And I love how you relate your girls' tower to world building. So glad I stopped by to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and following, Kimberly! It was great to meet you today!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I loved when my kids played games like this. The two youngest had a game called "Little People" which called for building a whole village in the living room.

    And you might be interested in visiting my blog today. :)))))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts