Regarding fan mail

I used to think fan mail was a little silly. Writing to an author I loved seemed about on par with hanging a giant poster of a singer in my room; some people did it and that was fine, but I was above such triviality.
Then I started seriously writing. I realized how much hard work went into finishing a book. I understood the dark voices that attacked at the three o’clocks in the morning. I knew how much a heartfelt positive critique meant to me, and how the thoughtless, negative ones stung.
After the first large critique group meeting I attended, I decided I was going to become one of those people who wrote fan mail. There are so many negative factors working against authors--those of us who can see that should work to balance it out a little.
I can’t always remember or make the time to write letters as thoughtful as I would like, but I try to push aside the feeling of “Gosh, they’re going to think I’m ditzy,” and write something, even if it’s short, to thank the writers who have created great art with their words.
I’ve decided to begin Lucy early in order to prevent that ridiculous feeling, so when she finished reading “Sticky Burr,” by John Lechner with me on Saturday and proclaimed, “I loved that so much,” we sat down with paper and pencils and Lucy wrote her very first fan letter:



(Hmmm...technical difficulties with the picture. 
Just imagine that this paragraph is a photo of her letter. 
It said: 
“Dear Mr. Lechner, 
I love Sticky Burr. 
Love, Lucy.”
And it contained a smiley illustration of said burr, 
much cuter than I can describe here.)

Do any of you write “fan letters”? (You can call them “thank you notes” like I do, if the word “fan” still conjures images of shrieking girls at Elvis concerts.) If you’re a published author, what are some of the notes that have meant the most to you?

Comments

  1. I've never written a thank you. How thoughtless of me, since reading great books is one of my favorite blessings. Thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not thoughtless! I don't think it occurs to most of us! Books are such a gift, though, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. I write fan-emails. But usually only with a reason. I emailed John Flanagan telling him that a) his books were awesome, and b) how did I pronounce so-and-so's name? I emailed Jean Thesman and asked her if any of the story came from real-life experiences. And I emailed Veronica Roth to tell her that I appreciated her inclusion of Christianity in DIVERGENT. That was before she stopped answering fan-emails. {For what it's worth, I totally got emails back from all three of these authors. Made my day.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. And that's awesome that they wrote back! Authors are such great people, aren't they?
      (When I was little--like 10--I used to say that I wanted to be a writer when I grew up, but just famous enough that I'd have time to answer all my fan mail. :)

      Delete
  3. Social media has made it REALLY easy for me to stalk, er, contact my favorite authors. ;-)

    In all seriousness, if a book has really moved me, I like to leave them a note on their FB wall or send them an email. When I was younger (jr. high and high school age), I sent out handwritten letters to my favorite authors and would love it when they wrote me back. I think I still have those letters somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Wow. I'll have to find Lucy a folder so she can begin a collection. :) (All my gushing is over email...)

      Delete
  4. I write fan/thank you cards to authors, and like you, I didn't even think about them until I began to write. My kids will write some once in a while, but not so much any more. I'm glad you're starting Lucy early ... I hope an author will write her back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it must be the sudden realization of all the negativity out there and the need to support one another. Or maybe it's suddenly realizing that writers are normal people! I think before I started seriously writing, I kind of thought they were some sort of saints/movie stars. ;)

      Delete
  5. This is such a great idea!!! I've thought about writing fan letters for the very reasons you describe--because being a writer is HARD! And we do it for the readers, so it'd be nice to hear from the ones who love it. Now I'm seriously considering just doing it. Thanks, Faith! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your news, you must be looking forward to some fan mail of your own! :)

      Delete
  6. I think they mean a lot to writers. I can imagine LOVING them if I'm ever lucky enough to receive them. :D My daughter wrote one to Grace Lin that was super cute. I know Mr. Lechner will be very touched and tickled by Lucy's adorable note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Grace Lin is an amazing author, and that reminds me that I've never written to her... I think I read her book during one of those teething-child seasons where I didn't have time for any extras at all.

      Delete
  7. I wrote one quite a while ago, and got a personal letter back that was really fairly lengthy. My son wrote to Jerry Spinelli when he was in sixth grade and got a neat postcard back, which was fun.

    I got one from a sixth grader who had to do a project on an author. Her friends were picking people like, well, Jerry Spinelli, and she picks...me! Let me tell you, that was humbling. Anything that "their" authors would send back to them (note, bookmarks, etc), they would put into a poster or collage and it would be hung on the school's "*famous* author wall." So a few weeks later, the girl sent me a picture with her poster. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to write to famous people, including authors, every now and then... and one day read a book by President Ronald Reagan, who was still in office. It impressed me so much that I sat down and wrote him a letter describing my feelings and thanking him for writing it. I was surprised... no, shocked... when about a week later I received a copy of that same work autographed with a personal note on the verso page, along with a handwritten letter thanking me for taking the time to write to him. I initially attributed both replies to an aide with a signature machine, only to find out later that the President actually answered his mail... it had indeed come from him! The President of the United States thanks ME for taking time out of my day to write to him? His sincerity humbled me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts