Jo March is very cool.

Do you remember the first time you witnessed, even fictionally, an author at work?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think mine might have been while watching the movie Little Women, starring Winona Ryder. I remember curling up on the couch with my own three sisters, teary-eyed as Beth died, but soon cheering Jo on as she finally worked on the story she was meant to write. The moment the writing bug infected me for good may have been when Jo tied the ragged-edged pages of her manuscript with twine and tucked in a red geranium. Or it may have been when the typed version on the long white paper was delivered. I only remember that by the time the credits were rolling, I was sure.

I know the movie is not the book and the book is not Louisa May Alcott's real life, but all three versions entrance me. Maybe it was growing up with three sisters. We were, I considered, exactly like the March girls. My oldest sister Natalie was the pretty, logical one who never (so it seemed to me at the time) got in trouble. I was wild and moody and wanted to be a writer. Rose, the third girl, was the sweet peacemaker. Regina, the youngest, was, well, blonde. And...the youngest. See--exactly like the March girls.

Whether I was watching the movie or reading the book or studying the actual woman, I was inspired by Jo's/Louisa's determination and focus. I learned through her example to write the words that opened windows into my soul and not to mess about with vampires and murderers, because that is not the kind of writer I am. (Who would have thought that over a hundred years later, we would again be facing a vampire trend?) And I still wish I could tuck a red geranium into my manuscript before shipping it off to a publisher.

Lucy received some lovely Little Women paper dolls for her fifth birthday, so yesterday we watched the movie together so she would "know how to play them." The nearly-incessant questions of "Wait, which one is Jo?" ended when the movie did, and Lucy rushed out of the room. She returned a few minutes later with a two inch thick stack of yellow paper and announced, "I am going to write a book. On all of this paper. Like Jo. Because Jo is so, so cool."

Which were, pretty much, my thoughts exactly.

Comments

  1. Hahahaha=) Yes, I would definatly say you guys resemble the March girls!! And, oh my goodness, may I just say Little Women is like the best movie EVER?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to share your love of Little Women with your daughter! And wow, your family does sound just like the Marches. I always envied the sisterly comraderie--I have three brothers, and my sister and I are 15 years apart, so we have never been close.

    I liked how Alcott drew each sister with their own particular strengths. I'm a last born like Amy and could so relate to her struggles to be included (but not patronized) and to develop her own gifts rather than live in other's shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat to see your perspective as a youngest child! I agree, Alcott's character development was incredible.

      Delete
  3. That is a moment to be treasured, and I felt exactly the same way as a kid. I totally want to watch that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's even better now, I think--though suddenly Marmee is more annoying than she used to be...

      Delete
  4. What an amazing moment between you and your daughter! My daughter got bit by the writing bug last year (she is 12 now) and it is all the more special to me because she had a very hard time learning how to read. Now she is a terrific reader and a wonderful writer. We were sharing my laptop for a time (which was rather difficult!) but her grandpa got her a used one for Christmas, so now we each have our own. We will sometimes sit in the living room and write together, or take a walk and talk about our characters and plots, etc. It's truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I look forward to writing with Lucy someday like that; for now I'm her secretary. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey, when you first mentioned your sisters, I thought "Little Women." And now you are raising a generation of your own little women! How cool is that?!!

    So interesting to read how you just knew! For me, it was AJ Cronin's Adventures's in Two Worlds about an English country doctor turned novelist. Brilliant. I would be just like him, I thought.

    We must check out that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read it--I must find it. "English country doctor" already hooks me!

      Delete
  6. Love this. Okay, now you have to, HAVE to tuck a red geranium into every manuscript you send out because that's just too lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I just might! The editors will wonder, "What on earth is a dead flower doing in this envelope??"

      Delete
  7. Oh, I loved that movie.

    But reading the book growing up, I was a Meg fan. I always wanted to be the oldest, and get married. And I didn't like anything boyish. Beth died, and Amy was sort of babyish, so I didn't want to be them. I wanted to be like Meg and desire to wear a silk. :) I wanted to be a writer, too, and now that I think about it, I'm glad I didn't feel I had to be like Jo to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like with Laurel's comment, I love seeing the perspective of readers who loved the book but identified with a different sister! I can definitely see Meg being more appealing. I WANTED to be more like her...perhaps as Jo wanted to be more like her. But my temper permanently labeled me the "Jo sister".

      Delete
  8. Haha... I never knew you associated me with Meg's character (oldest sister bit aside). ;) Oh, don't worry - I got in trouble from time to time. You missed out on the first 5 years of that, remember? :) I just wasn't as free-spirited as you were. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts