C is for Chocolate

Chocolate Girl, by Jean-Etienne Liotard 1743-45
You might think it’s rather cruel of me to post about chocolate on Tuesday of Holy Week, when many of us are fasting during these last days of Lent. But it is relatively recently that chocolate became the rich, creamy treat we buy in foil-wrapped bars. For many centuries, it was prepared as a drink, often very bitter. In fact, in 1569, Pope Pius V declared that drinking chocolate on a Friday did not break the fast. Apparently he didn’t care for the drink and figured it would be a help rather than a hindrance to sacrifice and mortification. 

Chocolate, of course, was first used by the Aztecs and Mayas in South America, where it was a greatly revered food, offered in sacrifices to the god of fertility. (Considering how much I crave chocolate when I’m pregnant, this seems appropriate.) The Aztec legend claimed that their god Quetzalcoatl stole a branch from a cocoa plant in the gardens of paradise and brought it back to earth.

It was Columbus who brought the cocoa to Europe, and the Spaniards who began to transform it into something I would actually like to consume. They added sugar and nutmeg and cream--and they kept their discovery secret from the rest of the world for about 100 years...at which time the beverage exploded in popularity. In the nineteenth century, John Cadbury (sound familiar?) invented the process which allowed the chocolate to be emulsified into a solid bar, but even before that, chocolate factories had sprung up all over Europe and North America.

And the legend continues on into modern times... Did you know that during World War II, the U.S. government provided their soldiers overseas with bars of chocolate? They considered it an excellent source of energy, as well as an effective morale booster. Sounds about right to me... I definitely prefer to fight the battle of revisions when I have a little Milka which I can nibble.

Comments

  1. Chocolate is definitely a morale booster! I love Cadbury Creme Eggs at this time of year, especially while watching the movie Chocolat. Yumyumyum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post, Faith. I did give up chocolate for Lent, but I've been given extra grace to endure. Thanks for the chocolate lore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Faith, this is Faith! ;) Love meeting someone else with the same name... it's so rare to do so! I heard there was a recent study that said eating a piece of chocolate an hour before a meal helps curb appetite and thus leads to weight loss. Sounds like another excuse to eat more chocolate to me, but I'm not complaining! Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already knew part of the history of chocolate (I pay attention to the important things) but I didn't know the Spanish kept it a secret for so long. Great history lesson ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will take a chocolate bar as an energy bar anyday! Thanks for your sweet words on my blog. I'm sorry about your mother-in-law. I think each new moment hurts a bit without them.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  6. so so cool. I've converted to dark chocolate only. yum, now I want some :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an informative and delicious post! Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday! ☺

    PS...I hide chocolate around the house for whenever I need a little boost. Gotta keep it from the kids! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. A most scruptious post if I ever saw one. Yum! #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father-in-law keeps a stash of dark chocolate hidden in a secret place.... at least, he used to do so when he had nine curious and chocolate-loving children running around the house! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts