D is for Ducks and Drakes

Eventually coming to mean a foolish squandering of money (by sometime around the 17th century), to "play ducks and drakes" originally meant (in the Middle Ages) to skip stones over water. It's easy to see how the metaphor developed. But by now, whichever meaning you use is obsolete, making it ideal for tossing out in business meetings when you wish to sound either well-educated or antediluvian....

Personally, I'm probably much better at squandering money than at skipping stones. I think my record is four...unlike this guy:


What's your ducks and drakes best?

Comments

  1. ...maybe three or four? It's been so long since I've had a chance to skip stones! I used to live by the ocean (growing up), but not anymore. Kinda makes me want to drive until I hit a lake and start throwing stones in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! How did the guy in the video do that???? I always enjoy your posts, Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. o.O Yeah, I am MUCH better at squandering money than skipping stones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, did you call him a guy... in a 19th century sort of voice? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts