Y is for Yon

I love reading historical texts...old books...manuscripts in ancient languages. So many of them, steeped in storytelling traditions, can just trip off your tongue. They were literally meant to be read aloud.
Because of this, many of my favorite words are a little more suited to Elizabethan England (thanks, Will...) than to the present time: yon, wherefore, e'er, hence--you get the idea. (This is probably why my toddlers use the word "for" to mean "because," as in "I'd like a snack for I am very hungry." At least they don't say "sorely famished," right?)
But I shy away from using too many of these in my writing. I don't want the stories to be inaccessible to the modern reader, so I'm painstakingly careful that when I use an archaic word, it makes complete sense in context. And then half the time my critique partners have to tell me it didn't make as complete sense as I thought, anyway. But, oh, every time I cut one of those archaic words, it, well, pains me to the core. It's hard to make modern English flow as nicely as Shakespeare.
What's your opinion of archaic words? Do you like them? Skim over them? Use them? Avoid them?

Comments

  1. I don't run into this problem when I'm writing romantic suspense, however, in my YA time travels, yes, it causes me concern. I'm like you, I try to frame the word so the readers catch on. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh -- sorely famished! I have no junk food to eat ...

    It's a fine balance when one is writing historical fiction. You want the flavor, without drawing attention to itself, and confuse your reader or pull him out of the story. That's what I strive for ... the words must serve the story.

    I also run into problems with first person narration -- my character wouldn't stop to explain something unique to the culture that the reader might not know. This is why third person is so nice to have.

    But I digress ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I use them at times. "For" in the sense of "because" is a favorite, and I too tried to use it and got called on it. Sometimes it fits, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
    if you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
    happy day.
    a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! "...for I am hungry." I'd love to talk to your children!

    The word "yonder," sibling of "yon," was in pretty wide use in these parts until my generation. You might hear somebody's great grandmother say "Yonder goes that mule." More colorful than "there goes . . . " and more definite with regard to distance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts