R is for Rosewater


For some reason, rosewater--for centuries a staple in everything from cooking to cosmetics--has become rarer and rarer of late. I'm not sure why; rosewater makes a lovely, delicate flavoring for cakes and pastries, the traditional flavoring for Turkish delight (have I got the Narnia fans' attention? ;) a sorbet fit for a princess, a natural skin beautifier, a gentle perfume, and more.
You can purchase rosewater in health food stores, but I've been itching to make my own, as soon as my roses start blooming. Here's how you do it:

Get a big pot and place a brick in the middle. 
Fill the pot with rose petals (make sure they're pesticide-free!) up to the top of the brick.
Fill the area around the petals with water.
Place a stainless steel or glass bowl on top of the brick and place the pot's lid upside down on the pot.
Bring water to a boil, then immediately place several ice cubes (about two trays) on top of the lid and turn the temperature down to a simmer.
As the water condenses on the inverted lid it will drip down into the bowl. Every twenty minutes or so, gather the water in the bowl, until you have about a pint of lovely rose-scented water. 

When you're done, make some of this next:
Turkish Delight


Comments

  1. Oooh, I love rosewater. It's used often in Indian pastries. And it's lovely in a bath :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know rosewater had so many uses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea. And can your blog get any prettier? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Turkish Delight! I'd love to find out what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts