Life, death, and Joyce Kilmer


Last year, I read the essays and letters of one of my favorite poets, Joyce Kilmer. The most moving of these were the ones he wrote to his friends and family while he was in France, fighting in the first world war. Besides the touching love and affection for his family, his courage in the face of death, and his deep faith, the thing that I remember most from these letters is his many mentions of the book he was going to write when he came home. He thought about it often, was planning it and thinking about it while he suffered through the atrocities of war. He never came home to write it, however, because he died bravely in battle on July 30th, 1918.

Please forgive me for a somber topic, but somber topics are on my heart of late. Life, death, how we live, and how we die... My mother-in-law, Nancy Hough, has just been diagnosed with advanced cancer. She is often in a great deal of pain, and, while the prognosis changes with the results of each test, we have been told we need to hope for a miracle.

Nancy, who we know as “Mama,” is a writer and an artist. She, like Joyce Kilmer, may never have the chance to finish the book that she has been working on and thinking about for years. But, like that other poet, she has faith that our work does not end with this life. She believes that we are children of God, and are made to praise him in this life and the next. It is important to remember, for those of us who have a longer time left in this waiting room of earth, that the work we can accomplish now is only a shadow of what we will accomplish in heaven. If art is a way to praise God on earth and share in his act of creation, there is no reason to believe that it will cease in heaven—rather, there is much reason to believe that it will go on, perfected.

I wonder what masterful works of art Joyce Kilmer is creating in eternity. If I regret that he died before he finished the work he thought would be his masterpiece, it is because my own faith is weak. I think if he decided to descend from heaven to have a word with me, he might playfully smack my ear and say, “You fool! Why should you regret that my work can now be greater, clearer, and more beautiful than anything I wrote on earth? Don't you know how hard it was to write before? I'm glad I don't have to deal with that blasted writers' block anymore...”

Maybe Mama will get to read that masterpiece before I will. Maybe she will be able soon to create her own, unhampered by time and trials. Or maybe not. Like Kilmer, I believe that miracles happen. Sometimes God will show his might by healing the sick. And sometimes he will show his gentleness by giving us peace and surrounding us with love.

Please join me in praying for both.

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. What a wonderful idea that people will be finishing those masterpieces in heaven. Our pastor painted a very vivid word picture of getting to heaven and unwrapping the treasures we've laid up, like those manuscripts we wrote for the kingdom. I'm looking forward to seeing those rewards someday! May God bless and encourage you all today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to think, Faith. Death has been on my mind as well -- my mother died 25 years ago (end of Jan) and my uncle (her older brother) died yesterday. He was a good and holy priest. I imagine a big party in heaven right now welcoming him. He lived a long and good life here on earth, but his eyes were always set upon heaven.

    I've also wondered about what all the saints must be doing in heaven. I know they worship, but they must be doing other things too (probably because I have a desire to do a great many things in this life) but it makes me giddy to think it will all be perfect glory to God.

    I will pray for Mama Hough. May she know God's comfort and healing. God bless you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Faith,

    I pray for Mama Hough, knowing just how difficult this situation is for you family. As you know, I lost my father last year, who was also a writer. Comfort her. Love her. Respect her wishes. All of which, I know you will do with great kindness and empathy.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts