Heroes for February: L. M. Montgomery


In the U.S., February is a month in which we remember several of our country's heroes, so I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate this blog for a month to writing about several of mine.

One of the first heroes that comes to mind and heart is Lucy Maud Montgomery. I think if I had to choose one author that most influenced my decision to be a writer, it would be she. Because I could go on ad infinitum about the reasons why, I'll try to put together a little list here to limit myself:

1. Anne of Green Gables. As one of the first “thick” books I ever read, it has a special place in my heart. It taught me more about character development than any book on writing I've ever read. And it provides an example to live up to in creating a story with an emotional heart.

2. Gilbert Blythe, Hilary Gordon, and Teddy Kent. L. M. Montgomery's heroes showed me that real men treat women with respect and affection, do great things with the time given to them, and aren't afraid to recite poetry in public. This certainly shaped the heroes I create...and I think it had more than a little to do with the standard I set for finding a husband. (Incidentally, one of the most heart-stopping love letters I ever received was the one in which Mark told me how much I reminded him of Anne Shirley...luckily I didn't have to break a slate over his head to get his attention.)

3. Her perseverance. At the time Maud Montgomery set out to be a writer, the world was not as accepting of women writers as it is now. Still she set her eyes on her goal and achieved it....despite the fact that she received rejection after rejection for her poetry and short stories, and even Anne of Green Gables was turned down four times.

4. Her journals. Has anyone else read them? Amazing.

5. Emily of New Moon and its sequels. There is very little about this “trilogy” that I don't like, but I think the scene I consider most is Mr. Carpenter's deathbed, where he gives Emily some of the best writing advice you'll ever find:

“…Never write to please anybody but yourself… No use trying to please everybody. No use trying to please critics. Live under your own hat. Don’t be led away by those yowls about realism. Remember—pine woods are just as real as pigsties—and a darn sight pleasanter to be in.... Don’t tell the world everything. That’s what’s the matter with our literature. Lost the charm of mystery—and reserve…Beware of italics.”

Comments

  1. I haven't read Mongomery's journals, but have gobbled up both the Anne and Emily series. I love what you say about her heroes, too. I don't care much for the handsome rogues who treat women badly yet seem to be the stock in trade of some genres. Abusiveness and misogyny isn't attractive, at least to me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. What ever happened to good old-fashioned gentlemen?

      Delete
  2. I love her works. Yes. Can you believe I've read her? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a real man to admit that, David. :) But I don't think we doubted that anyway!

      Delete
  3. Yes! I've read everything -- journals included, which I think I love even more than the books. In fact, I'm planning a re-read this year. Want to join me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I only own one of the journals, but I can get the rest on interlibrary loan... Reading her journals made me decide to keep my own better (though I'm still struggling with that).

      Delete
  4. Lovely tribute. I have not read the journals ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comments are being devoured, but I'll try again ... I always find it interesting who inspired writers to write. So this is a dream from childhood. How lovely ... I have never read her journals, so I'd be interested in those. I got a snippet in Literary Ladies.

    I have two literary heroes who made me want to write. A. J. Cronin (physician turned writer) at age 12, and Rohinton Mistry, while I was a postdoc at Purdue. I had such a yearning to write that I ended up scribbling in my biochem notebook. I even bought a writing book (Bird by Bird). But I didn't start writing in earnest until after my first baby was born and I stopped working in the lab. Funny how it is my children who brought me closer to my childhood dreams. What gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually not familiar with either of those writers. I'll definitely check them out!
      I started writing seriously when I was pregnant with my oldest...I know for me, writing is very closely tied to motherhood, because my children inspire me so much, keep me in tune to childhood, and remind me of what's important in life.

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes, I love LM Montgomery. Anne of GG is probably my most beloved book from childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts