Heroes for February: Madeleine L'Engle


Have you ever been asked that tried-and-true interview question: “If you could have dinner with any person from history, who would it be?”

While Julia Child always pops into mind at mention of the word “dinner,” at the top of my real list is Madeleine L'Engle. I could skip the dinner in fact, because I'd be so busy asking questions and listening that I wouldn't have time for chewing and swallowing.

2012 marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of A Wrinkle in Time. It's hard to imagine what I'd be writing had that book been rejected a few more times (it was turned down by the first 27 editors who saw it!) because there are few books that have become so much a part of how I think and how I see the world.


I've never connected with a character as I did with Meg Murray. I read her story when I was ten years old, in the midst of becoming more self-aware as a person. I had come to the realization that I was a very flawed person, and there were times when I found it difficult not to dislike myself. I had a fiery temper and a stubborn streak that was penned across me in wide-tipped permanent marker. I was trying to be better, but I failed more often than I succeeded. Enter Meg. A character who did not so much overcome her failings as learn to use them. Her temper and stubbornness saved the world, because she learned that they were part of her and that she could master them instead of letting them master her.

Since I've “grown up,” fiery temper and stubborn streak still intact—though, well, tempered—I've found more and more to love about Meg's creator. After reading Walking on Water, I discovered a friend who shared my ideas about art and life and faith, and who deepened my understanding of them. Now whenever I'm down about my writing or about the world, I turn to that book and always find encouragement. I recommend that you read the entire thing if you haven't already, but to whet your appetite I'll leave you with a few of the lines to which I most often turn:

“Our truest response to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.”

“But unless we are creators we are not fully alive. What do I mean by creators? Not only artists, whose acts of creation are the obvious ones of working with paint of clay or words. Creativity is a way of living life, no matter our vocation or how we earn our living. Creativity is not limited to the arts, or having some kind of important career.”

“We don't want to feel less when we have finished a book; we want to feel that new possibilities of being have been opened to us. We don't want to close a book with a sense that life is totally unfair and that there is no light in the darkness; we want to feel that we have been given illumination.”

Comments

  1. I love that quote and her view on this, unfortunately not all writers agree. I read that book in 5th grade I think. I really liked it, but I was still hesitant about becoming a 'reader' I didn't want to be a nerd, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you feel about Meg is how I feel about Anne Shirley from L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series! This is such a sweet post, and those quotes at the end are wonderful and so true. I love Madeleine L'Engle's books, especially A Wrinkle in Time and A Ring of Endless Light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED her books, especially A Ring of Endless Light. Although no dolphins ever swam up to me willingly (or otherwise!), it just placed me in this beautiful world that sang of God's glory. Not sure what L'Engle's theology is, but I do love that her books reflected that God exists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought she might end up on your list :) And you've tempered that hot-headed streak, eh? I'm still working on it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack Faith! I was just reading another blog that had one of her quotes on the blog. I love her. A wrinkle in time is one of my all time favorite books...and sadly, like a lot of other books I loan out, I don't have it any more because I loaned it out. Anyway, she's freaking genius.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and about Meg-I actually loved her when I was younger, but when I go back and re-read the book...she falls flat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Have you read her memoir, Two-Part Invention? I'll bring it to you Sunday if not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Madeline L'Engle. And now you've given me another book for my wish list! Isn't it amazing how fiction helps us see ourselves better?

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madeline L'Eagle has given so much entertainment and so many dreams to young readers everywhere, hasn't she? I thought today you might write of your writing origins. In a way I guess you have! Roland

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Creativity is a way of living life." I like that quote.

    I. too, have been enlightened and influenced by Madeleine L’Engle. Although I doubt she and I would agree on everything theological and political, I am reminded of her wisdom often as I walk through relationships, both with family and friends. My favorite L’Engle book is not as well known as many of her books: The Love Letters. It seems to me to be such a wonderful picture of a marriage growing into reality and mature love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the inspiring quotes! I haven't read A WRINKLE IN TIME since I was a kid, though I bought a copy as an adult. Must. Go. Read. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post reminds me that I have been wanting for years to read this book! A comment above reminds me also how much I loved the Anne Shirley books when I was a teenager - as much probably as you love Madeleine L'Engle. I've begun going back in time, reading books that were published way back, in the 1940s and 50s, such as Dear and Glorious Physician. Right now, this is my favorite. It's long, and I'm savoring every page (it's not a YA book, but I can't imagine any teen today who is serious about literature not enjoying it).

    Thanks for a thought provoking post!
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I loved that book! I can't believe it's been 50 years since it got pubbed! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my, Madeleine L'Engle is one of my very favorites. To the best of my knowledge, I've read everything she's ever written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts