"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."

This past weekend I attended a brilliant lecture by Patricia Lee Gauch, entitled, "The Picture Book; an Act of Mischief." Patti explored the way that some of the best picture books are created by artists and writers willing to break rules, step outside the box, refuse to acknowledge that a box even exists. It was a wonderful lecture; if you ever have the chance to hear Patricia Lee Gauch speak, TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY. You will not regret it.
Picture books aren't exactly my forte in writing, but I do feel as if I now have the tools to write one if I ever wanted to. I also got to thinking how writing a great novel demands for rules to be broken. I admit that the "rules of writing" that "everyone" agrees about are there for a reason. I acknowledge that if you follow them all throughout the writing of your manuscript, you will have a decent book at the end of it. I wonder, though, if it is possible to ever write a great book without making a little mischief....
Take the title of this post, purloined from one of the greatest, and most rule-breaking, children's books of all time. That lovely sentence wouldn't exist if J. K. Rowling hadn't waved off the "don't use adverbs" rule. If she had followed the "Show don't tell" rule completely, she never would have achieved the level of wit and confidence her first chapter is brimming with. (Even Cheryl Klein extolls Rowling's use of the "Tell-then-show" technique.)
It's something to think about....
So, what writing rules do you break? And which do you follow religiously?

Comments

  1. I hate the utter banishment of adverbs. There is a happy medium between purple prose and Hemingway. Some character voices are more adverb-prone than others. You can succinctly show a lot about a character with a few well-chosen adverbs. I've seen some writers go into wordy contortions trying to avoid this--it's just stupid.

    I've also had to rethink the "show don't tell" rule--there are times when a well-placed telling will be the salvation of pacing, allowing you to cut to the chase and not waste pages on incidentals. Not every action *deserves* to be shown, after all.

    I am a stickler for consistent verb tenses, keeping each actor's lines and actions in his/her own paragraph, standard punctuation of dialogue--the kinds of stuff that never draws attention to itself if done correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am kind of like JK in this rule breaking. I tend to tell a little...but I try to do it in a showing way. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently heard a rule I've never heard before: A chapter shouldn't open where the previous one left off; it's got to open in a different time or place.

    I don't think so. If keeping a flow going is right for your book, do it. One possible problem with the "new time and place" is that you have to hook the reader again at each chapter beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to know the rules to break them effectively. Then you write and write and write until you find what works best for you and how your style shows through. That what Rowling did and it her book brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What JA says.

    I don't really think about rules when I am writing. It's all about telling the best story I can, make sure it flows.

    I have had the pleasure of hearing Patti talk on historical fiction. She is brilliant.

    Let's make mischief! I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! I love this! I love to do picture books so I wish I could have attended this class. I will not miss an opportunity to hear her if I ever get the chance. And I love your point - breaking the rules is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write MG, and I think the biggest rule that I broke was having a supportive family for my MC. A functional family is usually absent in MG because the character needs to be able to do things on their own, but really-- your MC can be on their own because of a whole lot of other reasons than a crappy family life! It seems to have worked well.

    The biggest rule I keep is clear and concise sentences, because I love economy of phrasing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Faith! I agree. Jo Rowling is always inspiring me to break rules, and not just through Fred and George. I say: do what you love, and write the best you can. Every person's style is different, and if we all write like "us" we are bound to be more successful than if we're always trying to write like someone else. And someone else made the rules... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use short, incomplete sentences a lot. Especially when I'm purposely being informal. :) PS: I gave your blog an award today! I like doing these things. Feel free to pass it along only if you like! http://mychildisveryadvanced.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award-and-vote.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts