Surprise!


I've mentioned a few times that I find taking a walk one of the best ways to conquer writers' block. Here's why:
A couple weeks ago, we decided to take a walk by the beach to watch the sun set--ideas seem to come very readily while strolling along with my family, talking about books or plans or nothing with my husband, enjoying the stunning gorgeousness of a golden sun over the water.
Mark has lived by this beach his entire life--some of our first dates were spent walking there--so we thought we knew it pretty well.
Then we heard some strange hooting, chattering sounds, unlike any shore bird we were familiar with. We looked up, and saw these guys:


Yes, parrots. Green parrots in our Connecticut pine trees by the northern shore of the Long Island Sound. If you look closely in the next picture, you can see a whole family of them huddled in their crazy-cool nest of sticks--quite the architectural wonder in itself.


I'm not sure when, or if, these brave pioneer parrots will ever make it into a story--but they did remind me that anything's possible, that perseverance is more powerful than common sense.
Plus, they just made me smile. I hope they do the same for you! :)


Comments

  1. That is so cool! I've never seen parrots in the wild. I envy your location to the beach, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, parrots in Connecticut. Lucky gal. I'm a bird watcher and the only time I've seen parrots is in captivity. Congrats. And great pics, btw. Thanks for sharing them. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Thanks for sharing. My first writing teacher said that if you are stuck in a story, throw a parrot in it ... and see what happens. I hope these guys will make it in one of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought is that they escaped from someone's house. And will they make it through the winter? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredible! What a surprise, indeed!

    I remember being at an SCBWI conference in LA and walking down the street and seeing two large colorful parrots flying over our heads. They landed on a fence. I think they must have been escaped pets, but your birds look wild! What alerted us to their presence was their squawking, too. It's pretty ear catching! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That is so cool! I wouldn't expect to see parrots in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're gorgeous. Their nest is so cool, I wonder how long it took to weave all those sticks together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic! I sure can see a picture book in your future. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one of the coolest birds' nests I've ever seen! I think that going for walks is one of the best ways to cure writer's block, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool. Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have the parrots in Westport too. The legend is that a truck carrying birds turned over on I95 releasing hundreds of the birds. Somehow it's temperate enough by the beach that they survive.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith, I love Lucy's hair. AND they're both getting so big! :) Can't wait to see you...sometime soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts