Dreams and what makes them happen


A few days ago, blogger Hannah C. Howard wrote a lovely, encouraging post about believing in your dreams. Because it really resonated with me, I wanted to write a post of my own in response.
While ruminating on what my dreams are, I was reminded of my acting class in college, where my wonderful professor had us, during one of the earliest classes, sit in a circle and go around saying, “Where we would be in ten years.” He emphasized that we were not to say, “Where we'd like to be,” because that would be admitting impossibility or impracticality.
Here's what I said:
“In ten years, I will:
be married (sort of cheating because I was already engaged),
be living in an old house with beautiful property,
have three or four children by then who I will be homeschooling,
have written at least two books,
and have at least one book published.”
That was five and a half years ago. Now I am married, live in a beautiful old house, have three children who I've begun to homeschool (well, you know, the baby is learning, um, how to roll over, so...), and have written four manuscripts. Looking at it that way, that last point on the list doesn't seem too crazy.
Hannah remarked in her post on how difficult it can be when unbelievers, the pessimists (or realists, as they like to call themselves) of the world, put down your dreams. We've all been through those awkward moments, where you decide to be honest in response to the question, “So what have you been up to?” and are met with a blank, frigid stare.
On the other hand, hopefully we all know someone who has always believed in us enough to encourage and help us along every step of the way. I know without a doubt that one of the reasons so many of my dreams have come to fruition is that I have many, many people who believe in me:
My parents, who told me, “The word 'can't' is not in your vocabulary.”
My siblings, siblings-in-law, parents-in-law, and good friends, who have helped babysit children, move furniture, cook meals; have listened to me rant; have prayed for me; have been fulfilling dreams of their own.
My critique group partners, who have been honest, insightful and constantly inspiring.
The many writers who I have met in person or through blogging, who remind me, in the words of one of them, that "no one is born published."
My daughters, whose beautiful smiles can get me through the darkest days.
And most of all, my husband Mark, who is loving and persistent and generous, who believes in me when I don't, and who has been known to calm a crying baby while carving a violin scroll, so that I can finish a sentence/page/chapter.
See?

Thank you, all of you. I hope I can help to make your dreams a reality, too.

Comments

  1. Ahh Faith what a wonderful post. You are truly blessed to have so many people in your life who encourage your creativity. I have no doubt the last thing on your to do in 5 years will see fruition.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I love meeting new writer/blogger friends. Have a wonderful All Hallows Eve/Samhain

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are inspiring! Love this post. But I'm truly amazed by your hubby. Holy amazing. I want to buy one of his violins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post! You are indeed lucky to have so many supportive people in your life. Sometimes they make all the difference between achieving your dreams vs wishing for them to come true:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is too adorable. Go, Dad!

    This is a beautiful post, Faith. I'm glad your dreams have and are coming true!! You are so right that positive thoughts and supportive friends and family go a long way in making those dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post and photo, Faith. Yes, we have to hold onto those dreams. I also remember writing down where we'd be in 10 years in my first writing class. I'm happy to tell you I have surpassed my dreams -- all but one, the publishing of the great American novel -- but I'll there eventually. Turning towards God was the most unexpected and joyful event ever, on par with getting married and having children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly touching post. I think it is wonderful that you are so appreciative of those who have been by your side and supportive of your decisions. I remember being asked a similar question once about where I would be in ten years and I vividly remember the instructor telling us that we could only share what we believed would happen, no maybe or mights and nothing negative. I cannot remember when or where it was. I think I will ponder that little exercise tonight. You are blessed to have such a wonderful family.

    I am a new follower and I feel blessed to have discovered your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are reaching your goals and dreams, Faith. This was a wonderful post.

    I love the picture, too. Your baby's legs are delectable. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! What a great exercise for your teacher to give, too. I'm glad you joined in the dream-sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your dreams will come true with that kind of outlook. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post, as usual, Faith. One of my favorite quotes is this: "A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence." Believe in your dreams and you'll find a way to make them come true. I am 100% certain that you will be published within 4.5 years. And I hope I'm among the first to say Congratulations! and "I told you so!" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts