*Sheepish smile*

I'm sorry I haven't been very good at updating/commenting all week...There was this trip to NYC in which I did not end up at BEA like I was supposed to, but did have an amazing, inspiring visit to the Met (love that place)...
...and I have a new niece...:)
...and my rose garden is in crazy bloom...
...AND I JUST WROTE THE SCENE IN MY WIP!


Oops, didn't mean to yell. I'm just ultra-excited because I finally got to that scene near the climax that I've been thinking about for months and dying to finally type out.
Here's how it begins:

I hear a shrill cry above me as I drag my feet to Henri's in the morning; three vultures circle in the sky overhead, their ragged wings catching the weak breeze and keeping them afloat just over my head. I can see no dead animal on the roadway, but their black eyes are focused on me.


Shivering, I run ahead. Vultures are eerily wise at times: they can feel a death before it happens.

I wish Louis was with me.

He must have seen his share of vultures over the battlefield, and he would laugh them away. I try to do what he would do, but my laughter is shaky. I do not breathe easy until they fly away, past the church spire and the abbey, and I can see them no longer.
 
It gets more exciting after that, but every other section seemed to be teeming with spoilers, so...
 
The best part is, I love writing finales. So all I have to do is squeeze a few more hours into every day, and I'll have this WIP finished in no time flat. I think it's time to bribe my sisters into babysitting... (If you're reading this, girls, just think fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate. I have some at my house.......mmmm......)

Have a good Memorial Day, everyone! (I'm sure I will; it's my birthday, and I'm going to talk somebody into making me cheesecake. :)

Comments

  1. Happy birthday and good luck with the cheesecake plan!

    Love the snippet - it's so much fun writing those climatic scenes. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jemi!
    I'm not sure which I'm more looking forward to: cheesecake or writing. For all the difficult moments, the times when writing is fun and exhilirating make it all worthwhile, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and good luck finishing that WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! best of luck with your WIP, that snippet was lovely!!

    and yes -- the Met is a sight to behold, is it not??

    hehe i love museums :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy Birthday, Faith! I am so excited for you about your book. That is the BEST feeling, to get that critical scene written and know your momentum will carry you through to the end. I think the scene you shared is AWESOME. I cannot wait to read the whole thing when it's published.

    Blessings to you new niece and I hope the cheesecake is divine.
    *clink* to your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great snippet! Congrats on finally reaching that scene and good luck with the rest of it!

    Hope you're having a very happy birthday, Faith!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! -Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great scene! Spooky in the best of ways. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it!! I love getting to exciting scenes too! Oh, and I'd babysit for choclate covered strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday.

    Finishing feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone! I'm sorry I'm not leaving personal responses to you all, but I am limiting my internet time, because the finishing is going great!
    I had an amazing birthday (TWO bookstores in one day...can't get much better than that, unless you count the cheesecake).
    And it is suddenly easy to get up with the sun to type madly as much as I can while the kids are still asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts