Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book

Have you read Anita Silvey's new book? It is a collection of essays from dozens of people in every sort of profession from astronaut to writer, describing the children's books that changed their lives and influenced their paths. I received this book for Christmas, and am still inspired every time I pick it up. This is why I write for kids! Because children's literature, no matter the rap it gets from much of the elitist intellectual world, has the power to change and inspire like no adult book I have ever read. Because one book can take a child's life from mundane to wondrous, allow them to see the world as an adventure, help them become who they want to be and not merely who others think they can be.

And of course it got me thinking: what children's book most influenced my life? I don't think I could whittle it down to just one without many tears shed, so I sort of cheated and chose a series:

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES (and the rest of the Anne books), by L. M. Montgomery.

I remember the Christmas when I was ten years old and my aunt gave me my first Anne book. It was a small, squarish volume with a picture of Anne in a pink dress (I know, the illustrator didn't read it so thoroughly, huh?) on the front. I started reading it that afternoon and didn't stop until sometime around two o'clock in the morning (I had a good nightlight, let me tell you...we went through a lot together). I was enthralled. I could hardly believe that someone had written a book so wonderful, and that there were more.

It's hard to begin listing what the Anne books taught me, because in each of many re-readings I learned more. First of all, I learned how much I could love a book, how it could wrap itself around my heart and imagination; that very much influenced my desire to write and give readers this kind of joy. I learned to live and love boldly and passionately, to make my dreams real, to never stop imagining. I discovered the difference between true and false friends, learned that a change in a friendship doesn't mean it has ended, learned that even people we dislike have good in them, sometimes a lot of it, if we only look. I learned, in Anne of Ingleside, that it was really cool to be a mother, and that even a mama of seven could still follow her dreams (I hope I have the chance to put that to the test someday. :). In Anne's House of Dreams and Rilla of Ingleside, I learned that death is part of life, and that even with sorrow life can be joyous. I was assured that true love exists and that I would find my own. I learned that love requires work, and that it was worth it.


I was also astonished, in Rainbow Valley, to read about a girl named 'Faith'...who, incidentally, had a lot in common with me as far as personality and trouble-making went. I had never even met anyone with my name, but suddenly being a 'Faith' in a world of 'Sarahs' and 'Megans' and 'Katies' and 'Ashleys' was pretty cool—I will forever be grateful to L. M. Montgomery for that one, small decision. :)

Is there a kids' book that changed your life? I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

  1. I popped over from W.M. Morrell's to say hello - fun blog! I love making new blog buddies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. Hmm... So many books that changed my life:
    * Miss Rumphius- Is sort of a book to live by. What can I do to make the world more beautiful? I love it so much.
    * The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe - When I was a kid, I felt so connected to this book. I wanted to find a magic world; I felt like a true Narnian in my heart; I even found a version of spirituality through Aslan, because he was so good and powerful. (I grew up in a pretty non-spiritual home.)
    * Sense & Sensibility - showed me some ways I wanted to kind of "grow up". I wanted to emulate Elinor's grace and dignity.
    I could probably think of a hundred! Thanks for the thought-provoking post, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Anne books! You've made me want to read them again; it's been so many years. There are so many books that have touched my life that it is maybe impossible to choose. I loved the Narnia series, too, though. It always surprises me when people say they didn't know there were religious themes when they first read the books. Another favorite from my childhood is The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald - beautiful story. I learned in college that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien admired MacDonald's writing, and I could see why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for following me -- I look forward to doing the same! This is a great post. To answer your question, there isn't really a children's book that I read that changed my life, but the first short story I ever wrote was a children's story. That story led me into the world of writing, and I'll forever be grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say that the Bill Pete books changed my life, but they did introduce me to a different world. My favorite memory is reading Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent and how he taunted the reader with the definition of doldrums. Writing that pulled you forward even though it was "just a kids book". Although I love my Kindle, I want every one of his books as a big hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faith!

    I came from Plain Jane's blog and really like this post. The first *big* book I ever read was On the Banks of Plum Creek, one of the Little House books, given to me by my grandmother as a gift. This book made me realize that everyday life and ordinary families can make interesting reading in the hands of a talented writer. I'd say it's the first book that made me think this is what I want to do someday.

    And I'm your 20th follower! woo hoo!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for 20th follower and Little House! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts