Do you want to BE a writer?


My whole life I've been telling myself (and anyone else who'll listen) that I want to be a writer. But except for a lot of high school and college essays and a handful of poems and stories, I never wrote anything. I had plenty of ideas in my head, numerous first chapters, but nothing that justified saying “I am a writer.”

The summer after I graduated from college and got married, my husband convinced me to actually sit down and be a writer instead of just talking about it. With my sister- and mother-in-law, we started a weekly critique group, and for the first time I experienced that satisfaction of really writing, really accomplishing, facing stumbling blocks and overcoming them. I wrote a rough draft of my American Revolution historical novel, The Bee Hive, in six months, and even though it was difficult to get over my bad habits, I was just really, incredibly happy that I was finally doing something to pursue my dreams.

Then... I entered the world of submission. I started in 2007 by submitting The Bee Hive to a CT statewide contest for unpublished writers, the Tassy Walden Award for New Voices in Children's Literature. When I found out I was a finalist, I squealed and danced for at least a few days, on and off. It was finally here—that elusive moment—I was going to be published! I knew winning the contest was no guarantee of future publication, but I figured, if an agent judge had chosen the ms as a finalist, it must be pretty great, right? (Ok, I can hear you snickering. I was extremely naive.) An editor from a respected house asked to see all the YA finalist mss, so I fixed a few format errors and sent it off.

Six months later...it came: my first rejection. I only realized later how amazing it was to get a personal rejection with a few nice comments and some constructive criticism in it. All I saw was: SHE HATED IT.

Fortunately, I'm ridiculously stubborn, and my husband wouldn't have let me give up anyway. I kept writing, writing, writing, and kept submitting, and kept getting rejected. Over the next two years, I was once again a finalist and once a winner in the “Tassy”, got half a dozen form rejections and about twice as many nice, personal ones. The worst was a copy-pasted form rejection in which the editor said a few kind things about enjoying my chapters, but Lily just wasn't right for her house—which would have been really nice, except my book was called The Art of Elsewhere, and there was no one named Lily in it at all.

By early last year, I was starting to feel really worn out and discouraged. I felt I would never meet my goal of being published. I felt disgusted with myself for trying, when obviously it wasn't meant to be. I was reluctant to spend any more time revising things or writing anything new, when none of my previous changes had made much difference in the long run.

Then I remembered: I want to be a writer. Which means: writing. I recalled my initial excitement at just getting words down on paper, finding that perfect scene, spending time with my characters, in their world. I had become so preoccupied with the worry of submission, that I had forgotten the reason I started writing in the first place. I had stopped wanting to be a writer—I wanted to have been one.

With this epiphany in mind, I approached revising my work with new vigor. I didn't need quick fixes for problems with my ms: I needed to make it perfect. I found that keeping my focus on writing and away from submitting allowed me to enjoy the process as I first had.

Don't get me wrong: I'm still submitting, now that I have a finished product that I'm happy with—now that the voice in my mind that used to say, “Maybe no one will notice,” is finally silent. I still very much want to be published. But I realize that every rejection brings me closer to that goal. Every form rejection is just a step along the path, and every personal rejection is a rare gift that allows me to grow as a writer and hone my skills.

On our recent trip to Amherst, Massachusetts, we drove by Emily Dickinson's home (we wanted to go inside but it was closed for repairs to the roof). Emily Dickinson has always been a bit of a mystery to me; I admired much of her poetry, but I couldn't understand her attitude towards publishing...she called it something like, “the auctioning of man's soul.” Since my desire to share my stories is so strong, I will never agree with her, but I see that there is truth in her perspective. By developing herself as a writer rather than become obsessed with publication, she was able to become a truly great poet.

So, fellow writers, congratulations on all your accomplishments, large and small. Here's to being writers! And I'd love to know: what gets you through rejection?

Except chocolate, that is. Chocolate is a given.


Comments

  1. Faith - I think you've just described the process that 99% of us go through. Never surrender! It's a brutal business at times but you're right - you go through the ups and downs and then finally remember why you started - because you love to write. Because you have stories to tell. The fact that you've written an entire story is a fantastic accomplishment that few people can claim.

    But you've got what it takes. Just stick to it. Rejection is inevitable. It's part of the process. Look for any feedback that makes sense to apply to your work and keep sending out your queries. It's the only way you'll find your agent.

    A friend of mine had received ~90 rejections with 40 more still pending when she found her agent. Three WEEKS later she had a three book deal.

    Next time you go to the bookstore, find the spot on the shelf where you book will sit. I always do. Take classes if you need do. Make it happen. You can do it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith, This is so great. It's nice to hear some of your story and your journey with writing! I agree that it's just so important to stay focused on the part you can control: the excellence of the writing and the ENJOYMENT of the writing. An agent had my novel over December and January and I was all jitters, wondering what he would say, wondering how it would go. And while I was waiting I had this wonderful epiphany, similar to yours. I realized, this guy doesn't get to decide whether or not I get to be a writer. Only *I* get to decide that. He only decides whether or not he wants to be a part of it! That was truly helpful to my soul. Thanks for the terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Emily Dickinson is such a great story to remember, too. There's that poem of hers, "success is counted sweetest by those who ne'rd succeed.." Inspiring post.

    KIKI--Great to hear about your friend. Wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts