Caterpillars


We had a beautiful day yesterday at the Eric Carle Museum, in which we viewed gorgeous artwork by Eric Carle and Antonio Frasconi, saw a human-size caterpillar (from a distance--the costume was just a teency bit terrifying), drew our own caterpillars, and basked in the sun and a creative environment.

For the sake of visual interest I'm including our very own illustrations made in the museum's art room. The first is my husband Mark's. (I know. He's got a million talents. But he's nice and doesn't rub it in.) The second is Lucy's. Even at two, it's clear she's inheriting her father's skill.


The third is mine. So it's kinda scary! It's a bug, all right? It's supposed to be scary. The nice lady working there told me she loved the polka dots and that it was very original. Hmph. I am obviously not meant to be an illustrator, but it was fun. :)


Anyway, we loved the museum, and all the caterpillars brought on some interesting thoughts on what it is to be a creative person. Like caterpillars, we crawl along, making slow progress, often hiding ourselves from the world until...one day...tada! We're butterflies! And...I think I learned the secret to this transformation, hidden in Mr. Carle's classic book:
You have to eat a lot.
One apple on Monday...
Two pears on Tuesday...
Three plums on Wednesday...
...and lots of pie and ice cream. I'm pretty sure it's the pie and ice cream that does the trick. I'm going to go get some chocolate chip cookie dough. :)

Comments

  1. aww I think yours is gorgeous!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I appreciate the sentiment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like lots of fun, and I think all the illustrations are great! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I love reading Eric Carle books with my son. We visited his museum a couple of years ago as well. And you've just reminded me I'd like to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Faith!

    I love the polka dots!! yay for originality! and I love chocolate chip cookie dough.. :-)

    How's your writing going? What are you working on?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts