Neil Gaiman in Connecticut

 
Yesterday I stood in line for three and a half hours (Mark and I may have cheated by holding each others' places while we went to the library and the grocery store, but still...) to have Neil Gaiman sign a book and to tell him how much his "Make Good Art" speech has meant to us.
 
 
Totally worth it.

 
I hope on the million to one chance that I ever have to sit and sign books for four hours at a time, I will have the ability to be as friendly and sincere as Neil Gaiman was. Also, I'd love to have such nice fans. (Thank you, "umbrella girl" who offered us an umbrella to shade the little girls' faces! :)

Comments

  1. I really need to read some Neil Gaiman. I loved Stardust as a movie, so I'm sure I'd love the book even more. And Fortunately, The Milk, looks so good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing in Stardust is gorgeous. My favorite, though, is The Graveyard Book. Let me know what you think when you read some of his work!

      Delete
  2. I just started Fortunately, the Milk and it's a lot of fun. My 9 year old stole it though and is reading it himself.
    I love his "Make Good Art" speech. It's great that you and your family could see him in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--that story made me giggle, especially as milk for breakfast is an absolute necessity around here. :)

      Delete
  3. What a treasure, Faith! So happy you got to go and browse and take care of the shopping as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--I was definitely glad we could share the time in line, as time is such a precious commodity lately. I don't think we would have been there if we knew how long the wait would be, much as we admire Neil Gaiman's work--if we didn't have four little ones, it would have been an easy choice, but, to paraphrase Tolkien, "one does not simply walk into a 4 hour signing line with 4 young children in tow." :) I'm glad our ignorance led us there, though.

      Delete
  4. What a good, memorable event. I'm glad you were able to go, because that is a LONG time to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a lifetime thing, I guess! And someday our girls may be proud of the fact that Neil Gaiman said they were "glorious." (Unfortunately they don't know who he is yet, and were a little disappointed to discover "the very good author" we mentioned was not, in fact, Kate DiCamillo.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts