Happy Anniversary, Newbery!

The first Newbery Medal was awarded on this day in 1922 to The Story of Mankind, by Hendrik Willem Van Loon. They've come a long way from that first long-winded, racist winner...

You may remember, I had a goal to read all the Newbery winners; since setting it, I've read 4 more, going from 54 to 58. This year's, Flora & Ulysses, was an easy addition and a new favorite, but it's just a little pathetic that that was my only improvement, huh? Let's just say I was reading all the books that deserved Newbery medals. :)

I am metaphorically sitting on my fingers to keep from typing you a list of all my favorite Newbery winners...because that might bore some of you. But perhaps you'll indulge my list-love by listing your favorites in the comments?

Comments

  1. One of my writer friends has been collecting signed Newbery's for her daughter. It's quite impressive. I've been reading a great many books about slavery written by former slaves themselves and living in the landscape brings the great sufferings and small joys to my senses. I'm afraid some of the books and movies past were much too sanitized.

    As to some of my favorite Newbery's, I'll try not to mention the ones I already did. A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park; Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli; Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tale of Despereaux, Out of the Dust, Walk Two Moons, The Giver, and A Wrinkle in Time are all big favorites of mine. I also remember enjoying King of the Wind and The White Stag as a kid, though it's been so long that I can't remember why!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invincible Louisa, Caddie Woodlawn, Johnny Tremain, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Bronze Bow, A Wrinkle in Time, Up a Road Slowly, The Slave Dancer, Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry, Bridge to Terabithia, The Westing Game, Jacob Have I Loved, Sarah, Plain and Tall, The Whipping Boy, The Giver, Holes, A Year Down Yonder, Criss Cross, Good Masters Sweet Ladies, When you Reach Me, Moon Over Manifest, The One and Only Ivan, Flora and Ulysses.

    And so many Honor books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Newbery books. I've read 56 medal winners so far. Favorites: A Single Shard, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Sign of the Beaver, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Giver, Maniac Magee, Moon Over Manifest, Rifles for Watie (my favorite book in sixth grade), Island of the Blue Dolphins, From the Mixed-Up Files, Dear Mr. Henshaw, Bud, Not Buddy, The Graveyard Book.

    I also read honor books and there are many favorites in that list too (One Crazy Summer, Hattie Big Sky, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Turtle in Paradise, Savvy, Rules, Princess Academy, Al Capone Does My Shirts, etc).

    Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts