Writing notes from the Kitchen

When you first start writing, you get the feeling that it's as simple as making bread: dump in the ingredients; knead; let sit; shape; bake.

It's a lot more like making sourdough. Throw in the ingredients. Let sit. Throw away 3/4 of what you put in (or maybe use it for something else). Add more. Throw away more. Do this many times. Be very patient. 

It's not as easy. But what you end up with will be unique and rich and worth the wait.

(Yes, I'm making sourdough. My Little House-obsessed daughters forced me into it, claiming, "Ma Ingalls never used yeast from a jar." So far we've only managed pancakes and muffins, because it turns out that you need a certain amount of stuff to make sourdough bread: proofing baskets and enameled dutch ovens, namely, and I haven't got them yet. But the starter turned out beautifully!)


Comments

  1. Did you know there's starter that's been around since the Oregon Trail? Check it out! http://carlsfriends.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, it's a good thing they are not reading any tales of Africa or India. You might end up having to grind your own corn and wheat. Grin. But isn't Ma Ingalls a great mother?

    Michael makes the best sourdough waffles and pancakes. It's so hot here that anything I leave on the counter is bubbling to overflowing by the end of the day. Always, always, I have to remember to stick it back in the fridge before going to choir practice/Mass Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love sourdough! It's something I've missed since I've had to go gluten free.
    I love what you say here about writing. I'm doing a major rewrite now, so I'm in the "throw away" part or at least set it aside. Ah, but I'm sure it will be worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your girls are reading the Little House on the Prairie books. I read them when I was small, too, and still remember them quite well. And I also love that you're making sourdough for them! :)

    Thank you for the wonderful comment on my blog yesterday. It was exactly what I needed to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good analogy! Hope your sourdough starter will last years and years. :) I once knew somebody whose starter was older than any of her kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my case what starts out to be a loaf of bread will probably end up turning into muffins....with blueberries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The key words are "Be very patient." You're a wonderful mom to do this with your kids, and I love the analogy to writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts