MMGM: Ice Dogs, by Terry Lynn Johnson


I know I've dropped off the face of the earth for a bit (blame a cute, cuddly baby who wants to be held all the time, a kitchen that needed to be painted, and the spring fever that's gotten into me despite it not looking much different than winter here...), but I'm popping back onto the planet to share a wonderful book with all of you: Ice Dogs, by Terry Lynn Johnson.

Victoria Secord is a 14-year-old champion musher--or sled dog racer--determined to win the big race and honor the memory of her father who gave her all his knowledge of and passion for sled dogs before he died in a tragic accident. But when she meets an injured teen boy from the city on the trail and is forced to drive into a blizzard to save him, suddenly the most important goal becomes simply staying alive.

Basically, Ice Dogs was an absolutely brilliant, classic story of survival and friendship, loyalty and perseverance. That's a lot of adjectives for one book, but trust me when I say I'm using restraint. I absolutely loved Vicky's character, the development of her relationship with Chris (the injured boy), the trust she and her dogs had in each other. The pacing was perfect, the setting was stark and beautiful, the emotions were real and intense in the best of ways. 


Highly recommended for anyone who loves a good adventure.

Comments

  1. Nice review! Maybe this one would be a good read in the heat of the summer when winter's grip is gone and nothing but a bad memory. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but I need to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of great things about this one. I'm adding it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have great excuses for not being around. :) Hope the baby's doing well and that you are too! I remember being so exhausted back then, I was lucky to read anything.

    This is already on my TBR list. Glad to hear you loved it. I really liked Terry's first book, Dogsled Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm continually amazed at all you manage to do with four little ones. I'm still waiting for Ice Dogs to show up at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just read it (and loved it.) Now it's moved to my TBR pile =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started reading this, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! I'll recommend it to my daughter, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts