MMGM: The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp, by Kathi Appelt

I can now officially add "racoons" to animals that I like reading about, though I never would have guessed it. As much as I love Where the Red Fern Grows, I will forevermore cringe when Old Dan and Little Ann tree a coon. You can blame Bingo and J'miah of The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp.

Here is the publisher's description:

Raccoon brothers Bingo and J’miah are the newest recruits of the Official Sugar Man Swamp Scouts. The opportunity to serve the Sugar Man—the massive creature who delights in delicious sugar cane and magnanimously rules over the swamp—is an honor, and also a big responsibility, since the rest of the swamp critters rely heavily on the intel of these hardworking Scouts.

Twelve-year-old Chap Brayburn is not a member of any such organization. But he loves the swamp something fierce, and he’ll do anything to help protect it.

And help is surely needed, because world-class alligator wrestler Jaeger Stitch wants to turn Sugar Man swamp into an Alligator World Wrestling Arena and Theme Park, and the troubles don’t end there. There is also a gang of wild feral hogs on the march, headed straight toward them all.

The Scouts are ready. All they have to do is wake up the Sugar Man. Problem is, no one’s been able to wake that fellow up in a decade or four…

Newbery Honoree and National Book Award finalist Kathi Appelt presents a story of care and conservation, funny as all get out and ripe for reading aloud.

I enjoyed Kathi Appelt's two previous novels; the lyricism of her voice is stunning--and impressive. But I think this book is her best. The plot shoots up to the level of the gorgeous writing, so that every moment spent reading it is a treat. And when I say gorgeous I'm not talking about purply prose or sheerly elegant lines. The writing is...funny. And beautiful. Like listening to an expert storyteller spin a yarn that'll have you howling one moment and holding your breath the next.

To read more reviews of Middle Grade, check out the blog of Shannon Messenger, the mastermind behind Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays.

Comments

  1. When my girls were little we had to watch Where the Red Fern Grows at least once a week.
    I haven't read anything by this author, but it does sound like a winner. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have brave girls. I loved the book, but could never stomach the movie (in fact, I could never finish watching it)!

      Delete
  2. Love the whimsy in the title! And I've always liked storeis where some sleeping entity needs to come to the rescue- they always such a strong theme of hope and trust in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--the title is great. And a perfect example of the way a title should do double duty, as it instantly sets the tone of the book.

      Delete
  3. I would read anything by Kathi Appelt. Adored The Underneath. I heard she had a new book coming out and I'm glad to know it's worth it. You've got me curious about the Sugar Man...

    With the alligator wrestling and the conservation theme, this reminds me of Carl Hiaasen's MG books.

    Happy Labor Day, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've read everything that KA has ever published! My kids grew up on her. Looking forward to reading this too. By the way, I love raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read her novels...must look up picture books now!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this yet, but if it's BETTER than The Underneath, I'm all over it. I love WTRFG too (so when don't we love the same books?)but ever since reading Lillian Hoban's HERE COME RACOONS to my kids, I've a soft spot for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Marcia... We definitely seem to be cut out of the same reader cloth! Whenever you recommend a book, I know I have to find it right away. For example, right now I'm off to look for HERE COME RACOONS... :)

      Delete
  6. I just finished reading this masterpiece, and I can still hear the rumble-rumble-rumble-rumbles.
    Kathi Appelt is one of the best story tellers around. Because of the humor, this may be her best work yet.
    Loved it, loved it, loved it!
    People will miss out if they don't read THE TRUE BLUE SCOUTS OF SUGAR MAN SWAMP.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts