Top 10 reasons having a baby is great for writing


1. After enduring hours of labor (not to mention nine months of pregnancy), even writing seems easy.
2. Similar to the above reason, there is the added plus of not having to get up to go to the bathroom every ten minutes.
3. Usually, baby sleeps. When she doesn't, she's still light enough to hold while you type with one hand.
4. Baby cannot yet reach out to add to your story by randomly pressing keys...and the older siblings have finally outgrown this fascination.
5. Family and friends--wonderful people--come around to help out. Which means someone else is getting the older siblings their drinks and snacks, while you rest and write....and writing makes the neccesary resting feel productive.
6. Similar to #4, Baby cannot yet reach out and grab pages in a book. Which makes long stretches of nursing fly by as you read. I've read more this past month than the last three months together.

This is Genevieve thinking, "You love me, don'tcha?"

7. You are filled with the desire to buy all those adorable little baby clothes, but can't afford to--and so run to the keyboard and get to work so you will at least be able to afford the adorable little toddler clothes in a couple years.
8. Getting up at 5 a.m. to write was never so "easy," and getting up at 5 a.m. to nurse suddenly seems fun!
9. You're more likely to spend play time with older siblings reading books aloud than climbing around and building with blocks...Not that building towers is a bad thing, but it can't compare to reading several hours a day and building your skill. (By the way, our current family favorite is "Who's That Baby?" by Sharon Creech. The poem "Two Big Grandmas" has us laughing every time.)
10. Most importantly.... Having a baby reminds you that miracles are not only possible but happen every day. Watching her sleep and grow and grasp and smile restores your sense of wonder and faith and joy--and those aspects are the most important things a writer can possess.

Comments

  1. Awwww. This is a beautiful post, Faith. I love it. My favourites are No. 3 - she's still light enough to hold while you type with one hand, LOL! And No. 10 - oh so beautiful, miracles are not only possible but happen every day. Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! Look at that little smirk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. My writing career began with Baby#2 in-utero. They certainly led me to the right path in more ways than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was adorable! And so true. I loved writing for the first few months after my little guy was born. And then he started crawling...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious girl! And all your points are right on. I enjoyed remembering the 'light enough to hold in one hand' part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely, Faith! I've had a post ready for a while about writing while pregnant, and I'll link to this wonderful list of yours when I run it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet! I'm glad you posted this because I'm a slightly addicted writer who hopes to be a mother someday, but I've always wondered how it would affect my writing time. It's good to see someone who's already been there saying that it's possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a newborn is a lot easier, in many ways, than people realize! :) You're already used to getting little sleep... and they aren't rolling around or crawling yet. :) Enjoy your babymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweetheart she is! Congratulations. I really enjoyed your positive perspective. I don't know if I could have managed writing when my four were small. I'm so glad you've got it figured out!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely and makes me feel able to survive a bit. Just wondered if you had any thoughts on having a toddler while being pregnant and having to get the book finished now. ? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts