I just finished a book...

...which forever changed the way I'll think about writing--and life. Here is my quickly-written, exuberant Goodreads review:

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and ArtWalking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Madeleine L'Engle was not only a brilliant story teller, she was a humble, beautiful and insightful woman who, in this book, wrote many of the wisest words I have ever read--about being a writer, and artist, a woman...a human being and child of God.


I couldn't stop quoting passages to my husband, family--okay, anyone who would listen--but this was a book that was best read slowly, page by page, with time for reflection. (So the constant pausing to quote ended up being a benefit for me!) It is certainly going to be one of the first books I think of if I am ever again asked the "desert island" question.


I highly, highly recommend this book to everyone--but especially to writers and artists...and any woman struggling with marrying the dual roles of writer and mother would do well to find some answers in these pages.




View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I read this years ago, but I think it would have more resonance for me now. Thanks for the reminder to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I'll have to add this to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. I have enjoyed her books so very much and reading Water was truly a joy. I can recommend another book: Katherine Paterson's Gates of Excellence. I remember copying quotes into my catch-all notebook. I guess I'll need to check these out of the library again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wonderful, Faith! I've always loved Madeleine L'Engle, and I'm definitely spending a lot of time confronting those mother-writer roles every day. I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'm excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea this book even existed! My daughter is a huge Madeleine fan...I'll point her to it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation! I'd never heard of this book either and it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this decades ago--I also think it might speak into my life more now than when I was a college kid. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts