Why Speech-to-text is (select "is"/delete) isn't always your friend

Obviously I don't have enough hands. I have two little kids, chores to take care of, projects I would like to complete...and books to write. Which explains why I spent totally wasted an hour of my life on trying to figure out the speech to text thingummy on my computer. My brother is a computer geek; he once wrote a paper hands-free to prove a point. So, why not try?

Because... It turned the opening lines of my ms (which I was practicing dictating on) from this:

Do you know what holds together the mighty castles and lofty cathedrals?

I do. It is dirt. Between the carefully chiseled stones, around the stained glass windows, at the base of every buttress is the good earth. There is nothing stronger. Without it the buildings would fall and crumble—to dirt.

Do you know what soothes the peasants' feet?

No fine leather and embroidered silk for us, my friend. But the earthen floor beneath our soles softens our steps as we go to our work—tending the earth.

Do you know what makes the wine tingle in the rich lord's mouth?

Yes, it is the dirt. Our golden soil grows strong vines and imbues the grapes with its flavor. That is the secret behind our wines: the soil and clay, the mud and the dust, all toiling in silence to make our work fruitful.
No one notices it. We never thank the grime for what it gives us or tip our hats at daybreak to this hardest worker in the fields. But without it? We could never survive.
 
To this:
 
Do you know what holds together the mighty tassels of mufti cathedrals?
I do. It is dirt. Between the carefully chiseled stones, around the stained glass windows, at the base of every buttress is the good earth. There is nothing stronger. Without it the buildings would fall and crumble--two dirt.
Do you know what soothes the peasants' feet?
No fine mother and Jon Voight did so for us, my friend. But the earth and four beneath their souls softens our steps is the growth for work--tending the earth.
Do you know what makes the wine tingle in the rich lord's mouth?
Yes, it is the dirt. Our golden soil from strong blinds and infuse the Grapes with its flavor. But it's secret behind our winds: the soil and clay, the mud in the dust, all 20 and silenced to make our work fruitful.
No one notices it. We'll ever thank the grime from one gives us or two perhaps it deep creek to this hardest worker in the fields. But without it? We could never survive.
 
I am particularly confused as to how Jon Voight made his way into 14th century France....
I think I'll stick to typing.

Comments

  1. I have used voice recognition quite a bit.
    You need three things to get it working well.
    Dedicated software (Dragon for instance)
    A good microphone
    Hours and hours of training the software to recognise you.
    When I have all three happening I get better speeds than from typing (even allowing for correction).

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh no. I didnt know you could do speech to text. I think I would stick to typing too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon Voight haha!!
    I play with text-to-speech every once in a while. I think it just takes time, hours and hours for the computer to figure you out. :/ I don't have that kind of time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious!

    I have students who use Dragon for writing. The computers at school tend to have lots of issues because of the amount of students using them, but even still the program works pretty well. It only took about 15 minutes to get them into it, but it does take practice for the comptuer to really know their voices. Some of the mistakes are hysterical, some merely annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post had me laughing out loud. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith, this was really funny and I enjoyed all the computer's mistakes. But I gotta say. My biggest takeaway from this post? You are a really good writer. I am so excited to read your book! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I've totally tried that. I wish it worked! It's a great idea for busy writing moms. But I agree, your computer made some chuckle-worthy errors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, all, for your comments! I'm glad it gave you reason to smile, too. :)
    Al--first of all, I commend you. After trying it, I have a lot of respect for people with the patience to get speech-to-text working smoothly. And thank you for your suggestions. Maybe at some point I will have my hands full enough to give it another shot the right way.
    Melody and Jemi and Portia...similar commendations. :) Really, you must have so much patience!
    Aw, Molly, thank you! I've worked really hard on it, and little bits of praise are to writing what chocolate is to a crazy day... I won't say absolutely necessary, but...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo cool!!! I would definitely find a way to mess it up! Your lines and ideas are awesome, by the way :) I think you have a great project in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "… but the earth and four beneath their souls" does have a certain ring to it - Jon Voight - not so much!

    Your piece sounds interesting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your voice-activated software was hungry. That explains the weight placed on Grapes. :)
    P.S. Your story sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'll stick to typing.:) And why does everyone have a computer geek brother?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol. Now I'm going to experiment with it and see how my MS sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man - you had me giggling at mufti cathedrals, but then Jon Voight came and saved the day! Excellent - I might consider using this whenever my MS in in dire need of comic relief!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps this is a sign that you really need to write about Jon Voight.

    The idea of hands free typing is great--but I don't think I ever could do it. I'd be too afraid to "write out loud."

    This reminded me of when I used the Scrivener reading feature to hear my first chapter, and--Whoa. What an experience. It's both horrific and oddly satisfying. It's like listening to the world's worst audiobook.

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too funny! But it sure does sound like a nice idea . . . not having to type. Technology will get there. I'm sure. :)

    Thanks for sharing. And thanks for stopping by my blog and following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is hilarious! But I also want to tell you that I love the opening of your manuscript. I would read on, for sure! Nothing attracts me like beautiful language and history, and you do a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, guys. :)
    Samantha...hungry software...hmmm. That is scary, actually, though it would just make sense. ;)
    Laura--you're right about the computer-genius-brothers...maybe there's something genetic about writers/computer geeks. We could be more alike than we know...another scary thought.
    Medeia and Cruella: you should totally try it. I think it would be even better to read rejection letters through it. That's what I'll try next!
    Ryan: yes, writing out loud is really difficult. I found I got really melodramatic when I tried to write anything new, then I kept blushing because it was so ridiculous.
    Rosslyn: Thanks! I'm sometimes in awe how encouraging all you writer-blogger-types are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This reminds me of a little experiment Mark Twain conducted years ago to prove a point about things "lost in translation." He had his story, the Jumping Frog, tranlated into French and then (in his words) "clawed back into a civilized language once more by patient unremunerated toil." The diffences between the original story and the one that went through two translations are pretty funny. (You can find it online easy enough if you'd like to see for yourself :)

    As it is, you do quite well just typing, Faith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts