Thank you, Myrna, for this lovely award, and for giving me the excuse for random ramblings! In order to accept the award, I'm supposed to tell you all ten things about myself that you might not know...so here goes!

1.When I was little (like, five) I wished my first name was Elizabeth because I wanted to have lots of nicknames and I didn't care for “Faithy” at the time. (Incidentally, do you know that the one name that most often reoccurs in the list of Newbery winners and honorees is Elizabeth? Just saying...I may have been on to something.)


2. Mark and I occasionally wrote each other love notes in Tolkien's Dwarvish runes (mostly when we were at parties supposed to be coming up with entries for Balderdash, and runes were just more convenient than coming up with out own secret code), and once I wrote a poem in Elvish. Yes, I believe this does qualify me as a total LitGeek. Will you still be my friend?


3. I love old movies. Movies in general, but especially old ones with borderline cheesy happy endings. It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie ever, closely followed by Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, starring Gary Cooper.

4. My not-so-secret unfulfilled desire is to learn to make pottery. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I feel a primal need to create my own cups and bowls.

5. I have lived in 12 different houses, plus two dormitories, one apartment, and a few months in a camper trailer. Do you want to know what motivates me to get my writing published? The hope of buying a house that I never again have to move away from.

6. While I love theater, I have had terrible luck in my roles. My first appearance on stage was as a “mouse” (that was their nice way to say “little rat”) in the Nutcracker. The next two were also ballets: While dancing to Handel's Watermusik, I was a wicked mermaid who pulled in a fisherman, and in Hansel and Gretel I was a moth who frightened the children in the night. I moved on to musical theater and was a goblin in Rumpelstiltskin and a wicked Ninevite in a production about Jonah. I avoided theater for a while—not on purpose, but because of moving around—but then as a teenager I was invited to join some of my friends in their Shakespeare club. They were performing Much Ado About Nothing—I got to play Conrad. Yes, he is one of the bad guys. (On the bright side, I met my husband there. He was the director and played Leonato.) Roles got better from there, excepting the time in college where I acted one scene as an adulterous woman who hates her daughter and is in love with her son. (Christine Mannon in Mourning Becomes Electra) Yeah. That one didn't thrill me, either.

Is there something about me that says, “Ooh—she really looks like a villain!”? I just don't get it.

7. When I was 10, I wanted so badly to learn to play piano that I would eavesdrop on my next-door-neighbor's lessons (her mom knew I was hiding behind the couch) and practice later. It worked, for the record—and incidentally, I still play while that neighbor, last I knew, had grown bored with music and given up on it.

8. I have recently become addicted to Stash chocolate mint tea. Mmmmm, it is so good.

9. Something I consider one of my greatest accomplishments is that I can now say, “Whip up” and “apple pie” in the same sentence. While I love cooking, baking wasn't really my forte, so the fact that I can get a pie from bare ingredients to in the oven in less time than it would take me to drive to the store and buy one makes me very happy.

10. I finished my WIP, THE WITHERING VINE!!!!!! I haven't really told anyone that yet, so does that count? I'm so excited. :)
 
There you go! Now, I'm supposed to pass this award on to five other bloggers... Here are five who I hope to get to even know better, should they choose to accept that mission. :)
 
Paula (Yes, I know I gave you an award already, but I like the role of cyber-super-hero, and we all love reading what you blog about!)
 

Comments

  1. Great ten things! I don't understand the villain thing, though. You look and seem like a sweetheart to me!

    I must try that chocolate mint tea. Sounds delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award and on finishing your wip! Yay! Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your list! Congrats on finishing the wip - and can we all pop over for some pie?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faith, CONGRATS on finishing Withering Vine. I SO, SO LOVED what I read of it so far. YAY!

    I was surprised to see my name again, I don't feel worthy. Thanks, I guess now I'm a Beautiful Blogging Sugar Doll : )

    One of your ten reveals we have in common. You'll have to wait until I post mine to see which one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing your WIP! (And the award, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing your WIP! That's so exciting!

    And I need to try that tea. I love STASH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Faith! I loved reading your list. I love that you were so passionate about playing piano that you hid behind the couch. What a clear sign that you were meant to do it! : ) And I think the poetry and love notes written in runes and Elvish are pretty dang awesome. I will TOTALLY still be your friend.
    One last thing: It's a Wonderful Life is almost a perfect movie. It's a "family movie" and a "classic" so it doesn't get the props it deserves for being brilliant in so many departments--the lynchpin being Jimmy Stewart! What a performance! I adore that movie. Jason and I watch it every year and weep and laugh and hug each other every time.
    AND CONGRATS ON FINISHING THE BOOK! What's next???? So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura--I know. I am so not a villain. Would you believe that in that same Shakespeare group, I had to read the role of Katherine in Taming of the Shrew and someone (who may have been my kid sister...) said, "Hey, wait--I thought we weren't type-casting this!"

    Jemi--consider yourself helped to a heaping plate of apple deliciousness. ;)

    Paula--Ok, you have me really curious now... I know, it's the runes, huh?

    Molly--thank you for overlooking the nerdiness. ;) And Jimmy Stewart's performance is just...legendary. That scene on the telephone...(sigh...sniffle) I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves that film.

    Everyone, thank you for your encouragement on the WIP! Every time I posted something regarding it and read your uplifting words, it spurred me forward. I'm ironing out tiny historical details right now...and Mark promised to read it through over the weekend, so we'll see if I still ove it so much after that. Luckily, he is both my nicest and most honest critic, so if he likes it, I'm going to be super excited...and relieved!
    After that, I have three novels to finish major revisions on--more on that later--and I have to decide between two new projects. One is a YA historical novel about Antonio Stradivari's daughter, similar in tone to THE WITHERING VINE, and one is a contemporary story with a very wiggly plot at the moment, but it involves a homeschooled girl. I might have to flip a coin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I detect a note of sarcasm regarding the Shrew?... Although don't we all, most especially writers, have our Katherine moments when we simply need our personalized Petruchios to help turn our writing into something beautiful and un-egotistical which truly shows the worth of living in a complete way?

    I ran across this post while I was working on other things online and I just wanted to say congrats on finishing the WIP... I hope to walk into a bookstore in the future and see a copy of it with your name across it, and then I can tell everyone that I was reading her blog at the same time that it was being written!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for passing the award to me!

    I loved reading your list. I always wanted to learn how to play the piano, too. My grandmother tried to teach me, but I was too uncoordinated to get very far:(

    Congrats on finishing the WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your award, and thanks so much for passing it my way! Congratulations on finishing your wip!!! That is such an amazing feeling. And I love the game Balderdash! It's one of my very favorites (and I love a lot of games.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked your list--fun way to learn about you. :) That's cool about the piano, and I get the wanting to live in one house thing. I didn't move a lot as a kid, but my husband used to be an officer in the Navy, so we moved a ton. Now we're HOME!

    Congrats on the award, to you and the people you passed it to! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts