Another reason I love T. H. White

Here's how I feel today:


“You can't think what agony it is to rewrite a book. The old part rises up like Banquo and stands between you and the page...
...I wish you could see the holocaust of pages already thrown out. I have half a mind to send them to you as ashes, in an urn...
...how I hate writing.”

(T. H. White, in a letter to L. J. Potts)

I've been reading T. H. White's letters on and off to keep me from going crazy. So far, it is working. It reminds me that tomorrow I will probably love writing again. Today I just have to tough it out.

On a rather random note: have you heard about the awesomeness that is WriteOnCon?
What: a free online writers conference.
Why: because we're struggling artists and obviously broke.
Where: in the comfort of your livingroom...or treehouse...or under your covers...
When: August 10-12.
Who: a list of amazing presenters: authors, editors, agents...the works.

Some people are geniuses.

Do go visit their site, and check out the fun!

Comments

  1. Wonderful & inspiring quotes! No wonder you keep going back to them. Is there a book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that quote and can so relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is a book: "Letters to a Friend: The Correspondence Between T. H. White and L. J. Potts." It's a great book for any writer, because there is a lot about White's writing and revision process, and especially meaningful if you just love T. H. White, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so agree with that quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

    Hi! This is my first visit to your blog. Thanks for the link to the online writers conference. Im working hard on a book and need all the help I can get. A few years ago I was diagnosed with a crippling chronic illness which God used to transform my life. This book inside me is burning to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of that book. It sounds like just what I need. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing about WriteOnCon (did I get that right?) I'll check it out. And yes, your love for literature yields another rich delight for your readers--beautiful quote (in its own cranky way).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, T.H., I so identify. (Because, you know, we're on a first name basis.) :) Thanks for the conference info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW. This is my first time to your blog and I love it!! I actually am rewriting my entire novel, so I relate far too much to your post. You WILL love writing again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for following! And good luck on the agent search! I love the title - The Art of Elsewhere. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing quote. Holocaust of pages ... wow. Just ... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith, I have to catch up on your wonderful recent posts. But, for now, thank you so much for the T.H. White quotes. I am facing off with Banquo lately and it's good to be reminded that he's just a ghost! : ) Hope to be back in the blog groove soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for stopping by and I'm glad the quote was as inspiring to you as it was to me! I'm sorry for going so long between posts/follow-up comments, etc... but I'm blaming that dang revising...

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. T.H. would be "Terence Hanbury", the author of The Once and Future King (a.k.a. the book my husband keeps on the shelf next to the bed and reads (aloud, sometimes) every day because it is just that good.... You know the one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts