My YA Dilemma

Eight years ago, when I began writing "in earnest," I traveled to my local Barnes & Noble and browsed the YA and MG sections. And I felt right at home in YA. It was full of gorgeous, plot-driven historical fiction, literary efforts like The Book Thief, wonderful fantasies by masters like Shannon Hale... Sure, there were giant Twilight displays and about a zillion vampire knock-offs, but it was easy enough to tune out all the black and red covers and focus on the rest.

So I began writing YA. Because I wanted to find my books in that section someday.

Me as an actual teenager.
Perfectly happy not being normal.
A "normal" teenager.
(Image from Dawnsolemus at the English Language Wikipedia.)

Now... I feel like if the YA section was a high school, my books would be the bluestocking girls with carefully braided hair, shirts that met their pants, backpacks carefully over both shoulders, and no cell phones. Not to mention no boyfriends. They'd have great grades and their teachers would love them, but their peers would always look at them askance.

This realization has crept up on me. When I looked over the books I'd read in 2014, I noticed only a handful were YA. I read  a few contemporary YA novels, which I admired but never felt at home in. I abandoned several YA historicals after 100 pages or so, once I realized, "Wait, these are just contemporary romances in fancy dress." But mostly I decided against the dozens and dozens of YAs I picked up and glanced over on my library's shelf. Because as great as they might be, I am simply not the target reader for books about suicide, drugs, sex, abuse, or addiction. Neither will I enjoy "light" fare about high school crushes, first-sex, or auditioning for the glee club. Tragic death, dystopia....eh, depends. But I know I won't ever write it.

Four years ago when I was querying my YA historical novel set in the middle ages, I was told by agents that they absolutely loved it but could never sell it as a debut YA. They suggested trying the adult market, and pointed out the various reasons they weren't sure teens would be attracted to the story.

I hated this idea. My story was a YA coming-of-age story, exactly what I would have pulled off the shelf when I was 16. Yes, it was literary. But so was everything by Shannon Hale. Yes, it was set in the Middle Ages. But I couldn't see why it was okay for MG books to be set then, while YA could only get away with it if it was fantasy. Yes, it was about a vineyard and winemaking. But how come it was fine for YA novels to be full of beer and booze and underage drinking and adult behavior, yet somehow an ancient art and tradition involving the responsible use of alcohol was seen as taboo?

Since I stopped getting constructive criticism and continued to get "this is gorgeous but will never sell as YA," I shelved the novel...temporarily. Every few months a great YA book would come out that I would hold up to myself as the hope for my own story: The Wicked and the Just! It's set in the Middle Ages! It's literary! It's not even a romance! Between Shades of Gray! It's literary! It's about art! Code Name Verity! It's oblique! It's literary! It's about teenagers with adult responsibility!

And then I would read the reviews of those books: "I'm not sure why this is called YA. I suspect the author was just trying to capitalize on the booming YA market, because really this should be an adult book."

Another me as a teen:
Quiet. Literary. Wholesome.
Happier to be intelligent than popular.
(Similar to my stories.)
And now I see the books on the shelves that were accepted by agents as mine was being rejected...and I'm forced to admit that the agents had a point. My novel doesn't fit in there. It might fit in on a tiny shelf with J. Anderson Coats, Ruta Sepetys, Elizabeth Wein, and a few other authors--all of whom I see as stellar writers of Young Adult fiction, no matter what the reviews say. But John Green or Suzanne Collins I am not.

So here's the short version: I'm wondering if I should pull that old story off the shelf and try to find an agent who can sell it as an adult book. This terrifies me. I don't read a great deal of current adult fiction, so I need to do some reading and research before I jump into the query trenches again. Any recommendations?

And I'm feeling lost as I move forward in writing what I think of as YA. Is there any room in the market for old-fashioned coming-of-age stories anymore? Do teens who like more literary novels just jump right to the adult section? What do you think?

P.S. You can read the very beginning of that Middle Ages Vineyard ms here. Do you think it sounds like adult or YA?

Comments

  1. I would say...be careful. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole rarely works out for the peg..or the hole. You need to be convinced that is the best thing for both of you (the book and the writer) before moving forward with the idea. Secondly...if that's the type of books you gravitated to when you were YA...then there has to be a market for it -- albeit a small one and it may take longer to find your way in -- but it exists. Just make sure you've explored every possibility before changing course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, DL. I am a pretty cautious person by nature...that's why I've sat on this for three years, I guess! But I'll be doing some more research for sure.

      Delete
  2. Faith, I agree with DL above. I've read your excerpt and it is screaming literary historical YA. You should go directly to publishers because in children's publishing the door is not yet closed complete. Take advantage of that. At conferences I get mixed messages from agents and editors when I sit in on first pages. Agents want hooky. Editors want a slow build, more character development. I've only ever worked with editors and any time I've ever had hooky, they make me develop it just a wee bit more, set the stage, so to speak.

    And I'm with you -- I want authentic love stories, not this crapola that masquerades as love. You and Mark are so lovely together and who says you can't have both brains and beauty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about agents vs. editors, though I do feel that with my marketing and legal (non)ability, I'd be better off with an agent. Even so, there are so few editors left who are willing to take unsolicited mss, and those that do even say that they rarely sign an unagented book. I wish I could attend more conferences and get it in front of editors that way, but it simply isn't a financial possibility at the moment. Maybe next year!

      Delete
    2. You don't have to attend conferences. Market guides, publisher websites and the acknowledgments of your favorite YAs will come in very handy. Query directly. Busy editors are happy to come across something out of the ordinary. I know what you mean about legalese but Authors Guild or the SCBWI legal dept can help. Friends too. Of course, the right agent would be the best scenario! I hope he or she is still not in high school. LOL. Some of them are so darned young.

      Delete
  3. As the poster child for 'the writer whose work doesn't fit neatly anywhere' problem, I have a lot of thoughts on this. My first thought is that you just haven't found the right agent yet. Perhaps you can continue querying it as YA to agents who rep both YA and adult, and if you get a kind rejection on the material with this same issue, politely and professionally ask their thoughts on it fitting into the adult market? I'm that girl who boldly (but professionally) asked agents who rejected me questions and was pleasantly surprised when they answered. My other thought might be completely outlandish. Re-envision it as Middle Grade. I tend to feel this genre is more open to sophisticated stories like yours. As Madeline Engle said "If the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, write it for children." : ) Whatever you do, fight for the stories that don't fit. They are important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I really want to read your book, Melissa! Books that don't fit neatly tend to be my favorite.
      So much good advice here--thank you. Honestly, I have considered the MG-rewrite, but unfortunately it would change the heart of the story itself. It's really a coming of age story. But you're right, you can get away with so much more sophistication in MG these days!

      Delete
  4. I don't think the problem is with your book or concept but with the current agent/publisher market, which is getting narrower by the minute. I suggest querying directly to a small press like WiDo Publishing. (I'm biased, I know.) I tend to believe that getting published by a small press has a whole lot of benefits over waiting years for the right agent and right publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Karen; I appreciate them! I'm concerned about a small press for the same reason I know I'm not a good candidate for self-publishing. I can eke out writing time, but I know I can't handle 100% of my own marketing. It seems like you and other authors who are successful in the small press world are such incredible marketers as well as writers!

      Delete
  5. Faith, I say stick to your original vision for the story. There is a YA market for this kind of book, because there are readers who will read this kind of book. I know, because my girls are two of them! Perhaps, like some have mentioned here, you just haven't found the right agent. But I also agree that it could be good for you to try submitting to publishers directly. Try targeting specific editors who have worked on similar types of books, or who have literary and/or historical YA books on their list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Rebecca. It's good to see a recurring theme here, because it makes it easy for me to choose a direction in which to travel now!

      Delete
  6. Your writing is gorgeous, so there's no problem there, Faith. And I agree with others who chimed in here before me (sorry I'm late) that if you feel strongly about it being YA then stick with it as YA. (I hardly ever read adult fiction anymore, myself, so I can't help you with that.) Or as Melissa suggested, take a bold step and try MG. Have you read much Karen Cushman?

    Loved seeing pictures of you as a teen. With the glasses, the long hair and the style of dress, we could have been cousins.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts