Fall is for Fantasy: The Paper Magician, by Charlie Holmberg

Something about the bare branches and sweet, cool winds of mid to late fall make me want nothing more than a cup of tea, some cookies, and a nice fantasy novel. Here was my latest, much enjoyed, fantasy read:


Ceony Twill, much to her chagrin, has been apprenticed to a Paper Magician. Even though he has immense skill, a fine reputation, and mysterious smiling eyes, Ceony still wishes she could have done something more useful with her magical abilities; paper, she thinks, is all but useless. Soon, however, she gains an appreciation for both the medium and the magician--but is it in time to save him from an old enemy bent on revenge?

And...that's all the description you're gonna get, because...spoilers, spoilers, spoilers. There's a very interesting plot device used halfway through the book. I've never seen anything like it before, and I absolutely loved it.

The Paper Magician is Charlie Holmberg's debut (the sequel, The Glass Magician, just released), but it shows a remarkably mature skill at GETTING THE STORY ACROSS. Sorry for yelling at you there. But if I have one pet peeve with many adult fantasy novels, it's the descriptions that, albeit beautiful, go on forever and ever and detract from the story. If I have a second, it's that I'm afraid to pick up half of them because they're too sexual for my tastes. The Paper Magician was beautiful without being wordy, and romantic without being overly sexual. I'm impressed.

If you've already read The Paper Magician and are still hanging around waiting for me to recommend some fall fantasy reads, here are a few I love:

The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien. (If you haven't read it, here's a hint: it's okay to speed-read those hours in the mountains the first time. I know they take forever.)

The Ascendance Trilogy, by Jennifer Neilsen. (Fast, fun, gorgeous upper middle grade fantasy that I promise you will enjoy unless you absolutely hate both fantasy and middle grade. The fantasy elements are light and the plotting is heavy without you noticing.)

The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald. (Let's just say it's the fantasy that inspired all the greats from Lewis and Tolkien to L'Engle.)

Speaking of Lewis... The Space Trilogy, by C. S. Lewis. (I've only read the first two, but they're amazing. And I think one of these cool nights might call for a dive into Book 3.)

And speaking of L'Engle... A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. (It's even set in autumn, so that makes it even better.)

The Once and Future King, by T. H. White. (This is a love-it-or-hate-it title, I've found. White does fall into the on-and-on description category, no doubt. But if you like his wry, British sense of humor, you'll enjoy it anyway. What makes the book stand apart, however, is his pinpoint accuracy of describing human nature at its worst and best. He shows what sin does to you, and it makes you cringe. He shows what love does to you, and it makes you cry. And it's still funny. How did he manage that?)

What are your fantasy favorites? Happy reading!

Comments

  1. Okay, I'll add this to my list! Sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would like to read (and I too appreciate stories that aren't overly sexualized). Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Once and Future King, despite all that description. I also wondered how he managed to make you cringe and cry and laugh. So good.

    Haven't heard of The Paper Magician but adding to my TBR list right now. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is on my list ... still waiting. And I love that there's a plot twist that you didn't see coming. I like a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holmburg's world building was really fascinating, wasn't it? I really enjoyed The Paper Magician. Hmmm...I haven't read much fantasy in recent years other Harry Potter (adore!) and read-alouds with my daughter. We've been reading the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage--lots of fun. I've read her many of the books you mentioned, though we kind of petered out in the middle of The Two Towers--she's not ready yet. But George MacDonald is her FAVORITE author after Rowling. His writing is really quite contemporary sounding for something written in the 1870s, especially the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great one! I thought of you today when I was reading the Publishers Weekly Children's Bookshelf "In Brief" section~ there was a bit about a Betsy-Tacy donation in the final photo (aren't you a Betsy-Tacy fan?): http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/64732-in-brief-november-13.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly&utm_campaign=03ce853c6d-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-03ce853c6d-305119601

    ReplyDelete
  6. This all sounds so good. I've been so busy that something has had to give, and that's been both reading and blogging. Longing for my natural slower pace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts