A Literary Buffet

How do you decide what project to work on next?

I’m still plugging away at a revision that’s had me in its grip for a couple years now, but I’ve been starving without the joy of plunging into the messy creation of a story--the bread and water to any fiction writer.

So I’m dabbling, like a kid at a buffet, to see where I should focus my energy.

Should it be the humorous Gilded Age cross-class romance?


Or the World War II ghost story?


Or the Civil War Shakespeare retelling?


Or one of the magazine stories I have planned?

Or the funny stories of saints, told for young readers?

Or...or...or?

One thing I know, I need a full plate of SOMETHING, or I will waste away to my writing skin and bones. Would you mind saying a prayer that I find direction and a wee bit of inspiration to get me beyond “Page 1”?

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm in exactly the same quandary right now, Faith! I'm just finishing up the rough of my YA ghost story and need to set it aside before revising. And I have three ideas I'm eager to dive into. I want to write a YA WWI story about a boy who lies about his age to join up and be a pilot. That one will require tons of research. And I have a summer girls' club MG idea that's been kicking around for a while. And a story that is probably YA, about a girl who holds onto music while her family is falling apart.

    I hope we both find direction and inspiration. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I have a similar problem ... and I have chosen to work on short things for now. I feel scatterbrained, but sometimes through all the hodge-podge something good will emerge. You have my prayers ... but oh how I wish you could work on everything! On your list, the romance and the saints intrigue me most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all sound great. I seldom have many ideas at a time, but there's always a new one when I need it. Maybe that's a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your ghost idea. But then you know I'm partial to ghosts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hard to choose! I'm the same way. I always have my fingers in several pots. I love all the old pictures you chose for this post. They are inspiring in themselves. Hope you are busy writing away on something even as I write this comment! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts