Amazing Contest Opportunity

Little public service reminder here that the deadline for the 14th annual Tassy Walden Award for New Voices in Children's Literature is fast approaching. If you're an unpublished Connecticut writer or illustrator for young people, I strongly recommend that you enter this contest.

Contests are always great ways to practice your submitting and deadline-meeting skills--or just to give you that extra kick in the pants you need to polish up a manuscript. (I speak from experience.) But the "Tassy" is particularly great, and fairly unique, in that the entire structure of the competition mirrors the actual submission process--so your entries are judged by real agents, editors and art directors from the best agencies and publishing houses out there.

Winners receive a $250 prize, which can go a long way towards writing conferences, or maybe a new laptop, or--as in my case when I won--a nice, wooden toy kitchen to keep your little girls happy and industrious and imaginative while you work. But more importantly, all the finalists and winners receive encouragement to keep plugging away at an art in which it is easy to become despondent.

Enough from me. Go check out all the entry requirements here: http://www.shorelinearts.org/tassywalden.cfm

The deadline is February 3, so get to work!

Comments

  1. I'll pass this onto another CT writer I know. Thank you for the reminder :) I can't believe you *bought* a toy kitchen with a carpenter in the house. I hope there was some $$$ leftover for a dinner out and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--yes, there was plenty left over, though I think it went to student loans. For what we spent on the toy kitchen, it definitely wasn't worth Mark's time to make one himself!
      Thanks for passing along the info!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts