The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things....


...Of sleeves with puffs, of pants that flare, and things the Brits call fringe...


(Forgive the bad rhyme.)

Do you remember Anne’s longing for puffed sleeves in Anne of Green Gables? On first reading, I got teary-eyed at the scene where Matthew finally gives her a dress with the coveted puffs....

So I loved reading LMM’s inspiration for this longing:

Anne’s tribulations over puffed sleeves were an echo of my old childish longing after ‘bangs’...Well, bangs were ‘all the rage’. All the girls in school had them. I wanted a ‘bang’ terribly. But grandfather and grandmother would never hear of it.... ‘Bangs’ remained in a long time--nearly twenty years. When I was fifteen and went out west I got my long-wished for ‘bang’ at last... It is only about six years since bangs went hopelessly out. It is not likely they will likely ever come in again... But I shall never forget them. I longed for them and how humiliated I felt when I could not have them.” (January 27, 1911)

How well I understood Maud’s longing.... Not for bangs themselves; I had bangs and loathed them--I had so many cowlicks they never fell nicely. No, my insatiable desire was for a pair of “flares.” I was ten or so when they came into style, and I thought they were gorgeous. All my friends had them. My parents, like Maud’s grandparents, thought them rather silly. They remembered when bell-bottoms had been the rage in their youth, and they were certain that this new incarnation would be just as short-lived.

To be clear about the matter, I am fairly certain I had never asked for certain clothes before--well, not since I begged for a “fur” coat when I was three. I wasn’t picky about my clothes, and I generally couldn’t care less about fitting into the current styles. But...flares. I became obsessed. I tried everything from insinuating to begging to flattery. (“Mom--look at this picture of you in high school! Your pants were so cute!”) Mom still insisted--with each passing month--that the rage for flares was going to die within the next week or two. Finally, on my twelfth birthday, she surprised me by bringing me to the mall for the sole purpose of buying me a pair. I floated through the crowded lobbies...a lot of crowded lobbies. I’m pretty certain we tried every pair of flares in the mall, and not a single pair fit me properly.

A year or so later, a friend sent over a bag of hand-me-downs--and her old flares, worn in and wonderfully comfortable, fit as if they had been made just for me. I think I walked around smiling the entire day. Anne must have felt precisely the same sporting her puffed sleeves.

And this, my friends, is why I will never wear skinny jeans. (Okay, one reason.) As long as stores continue to sell them, I feel the need to prove to my mother that flares are not a dying trend. (Just teasing, Mom. You look cute in your flares, too. ;)

Comments

  1. You crack me up! My mother was very good at sewing and I had those coveted "puff" sleeves on practically all my dresses (all two or three of them). And when I wanted bangs, I just took scissors and did the job myself. Horrors! Dagny asked for bangs last year ... and I told her she might not be happy with them, but she insisted, so we cut them. And immediately she hated them. It's take a good long year to grow them out ... I think bobby pins never go out of style. Enjoy your flares :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Anne of Green Gables. And speaking of "just gotta have 'ems".... I remember "stirrup pants". Had to have those. My parents got me a pair and I wore them some, but they looked terrible on me! If you bent your knees when you sat down, it wasn't very long before the knees were stretched out and you looked like you were walking around with huge knees. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this. The moment of the gifted puffed sleeve dress, now learning the inspiration behind it. Flares! I was desperate for them too. Now I'm anti-flare. All that extra material!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you are aware of this, but every summer the Charlottetown Summer Festival does an incredible musical production of Anne of Green Gables. The scene where Matthew tries to buy the puffed sleeves is wonderful!

    Here's a wee little YouTube from the Musical:
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/anne-XXV.html

    Bell bottoms. My dad: "Of course you can't have a pair of those! Do you know how many people are going to get those caught on something like a tent stake and break their necks and die? Stop bothering your mother about 'em."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I'm not the only one who refuses to wear skinny jeans. And I'm laughing picturing you as a three-year-old begging for a fur coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I refuse to wear skinny jeans, too. I cannot think of a more unflattering style!

    For me, it was getting my ears pierced. I wanted them pierced SO BAD and kept begging my parents. My mom was okay with it - but not my dad. I had to wait until the sixth grade.

    Funny - my daughter has never once asked me to get her ears pierced. But there have been lots of other "wants"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are the things that I dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom always got thick mail-order catalogs. And I always wanted the frilliest, laciest, twirliest-skirted, frothiest, pinkest dress in the book, which always took up one page by itself. I never got it, because it wasn't practical for school. Gee, I should've been able to once, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh, flares! I do have a pair of skinny jeans, but just one. I bought them to wear with my big furry snow boots. But most days I am glad for flares. I have such big feet, they kind of help make them look normal. I'm glad you finally got yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh - I had this same obsession with flared jeans around the same age. And my mom didn't want me to wear them either! She wanted me in baggy jumpers until I married, I guess. Thankfully she's evolved on the fashion issues and although I'm still sort of set in my dumpy habits, my younger sisters look quite sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts