Elizabeth Gaskell, L. M. Montgomery and Me


A month ago I started reading Elizabeth Gaskell’s Wives and Daughters, partially for the frightening reason that someone told me, “Wow, your story reminds me of Wives and Daughters.” Frightening words. I frantically checked out the book, praying that I hadn’t plagiarized something I’d never even read, and was soon convinced that I had nothing to worry about.

Because Mrs. Gaskell’s book was so much better than mine could ever hope to be. Even though they shared a few elements (stepmother/stepdaughter/stepsister drama, primarily), the essential plot was totally different--and mine seemed like a flea next to an elephant. In my mind, it was completely squashed, completely unworthy to call itself a book.

I’d really been struggling with this feeling until I came across the following passage in the second volume of L. M. Montgomery’s journals:

“I have been revelling for a week in Mrs. Gaskell’s novels, Mr. Macdonald having given me a complete set of her works at Christmas. They are delightful.... Oh, truly, there were giants in those days in literature.... While reading those books I felt ashamed to think I had written things I called books at all. Mine seemed so trivial and petty compared to those masterpieces.” (Dec. 26, 1910)

And I breathed a sigh of relief. I can’t really hope to contribute anything Gaskell-like to the literary world any time soon...but if L. M. Montgomery had given up when she had the same feeling, what a loss that would have been.

So I’ll plug away, stop trying to be Elizabeth Gaskell or L. M. Montgomery, and be the best of myself instead.



This is a picture of our peach tree about to blossom--
just because I think L. M. Montgomery might have enjoyed it. :)

Comments

  1. I completely relate to this, Faith -- not to the particular authors, but that feeling of oh, no, and how can I even call this work a book?

    Yes, be your best self. Dare I say I've enjoyed your wip far more than LMM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!!

    I'm chugging along with my reading and told my husband last night: this book is like having a great conversation without having to do any talking. Nice sometimes for this introvert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep "plugging" along! I can't wait to read one of your own works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You're posting again! Yay! I've heard about Elizabeth Gaskell but haven't been able to find her books anywhere. I'd really like to read "Wives and Daughters."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this before - after reading a particularly good book, I think, "how can I hope to even come close?" But I've come to the realization that MY voice is unique and I must trust myself to write what only I can write and no one else. I think I've seen a statement that says, "Comparison is the thief of happiness" or something along those lines. How true it is. It's so hard to NOT compare our work to others, but realizing that we truly do have something to contribute is sometimes harder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how LM Montgomery's words ("I felt ashamed to think I had written things I called books at all") echo your feelings so exactly! You are in great company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Faith ... I meant to comment on this post the first time I read it! What happened was (fade in) I took the Jane Austen and the Harry Potter personality tests (in order to find out that I am Anne Elliot and Ron Weasley, wait ... what? (fade out) so I forgot. I LOVE this post and it was one of the reasons I started "looking in" on the Lena Ladimer Chronicles and had pity on my characters, even Bacon the dog. And you are an absolute dear to look in on my blog. You are "the someone out there." I have been a big fan of Elizabeth Gaskell for a number of years now. Have you seen any of the BBC productions of her work? My favorite is North and South, but I also love the Cranford series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great lesson here and I love your peach blossoms. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Popular Posts